Carrier updates available popup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richard4339, Mar 4, 2011.

1. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I'm a VZW iPhone user, just went into Settings > General > About, and got a popup that said carrier updates were available. I clicked ok. Realized afterwards I should have screenshotted it first. I don't remember ever seeing this on the AT&T iPhone. Is this something new? Has anyone else gotten this?

2. Fugue macrumors 6502

I experience the same thing as well. I clicked cancel because I was worried it might effect my jailbreak. What exactly does it do?

3. Jmill79 macrumors newbie

Weird, I got it, clicked OK, and the messege just dissapeared. No wifi indication something was DL'ing or nothing. Notice nothing different.

4. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It updated the item "Carrier" for me. Prior to hitting "Update" mine was at 9.5 now it's at 10.1. What that is or means I have no idea though.

5. Anotoneher macrumors member

Could be a compatibility update since Itunes was just updated?

6. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

From Apple site....

Carrier settings updates are small files (about 10k) that are downloaded from iTunes to be installed on your iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + 3G. The carrier settings can include updates to the default APN (how the device accesses the carrier's cellular data network). The carrier settings for iPhone also include special dialing codes at Settings > Phone > [Carrier] Services, default settings for Stocks, Maps, Weather, and other items. You should install the latest carrier settings updates for your device as soon as they are available.

To check if a carrier settings update is available for your iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + 3G:

Make sure that you have a working Internet connection on your computer, and the latest version of iTunes is installed on your computer.
    Connect the device to your computer and open iTunes.
    If a carrier setting update is available iTunes displays a prompt:

Click "Update Settings" to load the confirmation dialog.

Click OK to dismiss the confirmation dialog.
    Restart your device:
    Hold the power button until "slide to power off" appears.

Slide to power off your device.

When it is off, press the power button to turn it back on.

Additional Information
    The carrier update files are stored in the following locations.

In Mac OS X:
    /Users/[Username]/Library/iTunes/iPhone Carrier Support/

In Windows XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Carrier Support

In Windows Vista:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Carrier Support\ in Windows Vista.

The version of the carrier settings is visible on iPhone and iPad Wi-Fi + 3G by tapping Settings > General > About and looking next to "Carrier". If you restore with a new version of the software, the carrier settings update may be included with that update. If not, iTunes will indicate that a carrier update is available after the restore.

If your device uses a SIM card and you insert a SIM or micro-SIM from a different carrier, you must connect the device to iTunes to download the latest carrier settings for that carrier.

7. bob616 macrumors 6502

That is an update from verizon for the towers and roaming towers that it can talk to. It's a good thing so don't worry and it won't mess with your jailbreak. I believe it is called the "PRL" but I might be wrong.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

A carrier update has nothing to do with iTunes. It is more likely to do with the complaints of dropped data connections.

9. Generik777 macrumors regular

Generik777

Wrong, It's whats know as a PRL update. What it does is update your phone with what towers are available in your area and which one is best for your phone to use. Because towers are always being updates the PRL also needs to be updated. It's also not because of data complaints, these are normal updates pushed out as they become availabe. Most phones (but not all) you have to call in to have these updated, apparently the iPhone handles it differently.

10. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

I never remember having any of these on ATT....any reason for that?

11. pdjudd macrumors 601

I’ve seen them a couple of times for the AT&T iPhone.

12. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

They were on At&T also. Last one I remember was when they started allowing MMS.

13. richard4339 thread starter macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I remember the carrier updates coming through iTunes for AT&T, but never as a popup on the phone itself.

So I assume this overrides the need for us to occasionally dial *228 through VZW to get the PRL updates?

14. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yeah, that's the way mine worked also.

I don't know about that, but contrary to what Generik777, corrected me on in the post above, carrier updates can be for more than simple PRL updates. I remember AT&T had a carrier update when they started allowing MMS.

15. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Carrier updates are not just for PRL updates...Indeed this may be what it is, but, I couldn't find any information about this update being for PRL. Perhaps you have a link that you would like to share with the rest of us.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1970

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It could be a bug fix for the way the phone handles the network connection.
    There seems to be a few complains with CDMA iPhones dropping 3G and completely losing data until the phone is restarted.

17. Generik777 macrumors regular

Generik777

I called verizon yesterday for a separate billing reason and asked about this as well, and thats what they told me. But as everyone knows customer support doesn't always know what they are talking about. That's just what they told me.