Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
The headline is misleading. AnandTech says Apple, not the carriers, have anything in the carrier bundles that would throttle the iPhone.

But can the carriers throttle based on the ID it reads off the phone when it's connecting to a tower for access? I would imagine that's is technically possible to do. My phone has the same carrier bundle as every AT&T iPhone out there, but as an unlimited data user, once I get to a certain limit I can and will be throttled. I imagine different parameters can be set by the carrier to throttle down any user based on various specifications.

Mcckoe

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
not throttling in anyway???

maybe not on carriers, but my devices on my home wifi network are still limited by apple, 50ish mbps on 802.11n... card should be able to do atleast twice that, but its an apple ios device, so... isn't that considered throttling in a way??? wouldn't surprise me if if they limited the internal speeds to decrease cell system crashes, but i have a iPhone 5 on a Cellcom with shared 4G connection through Verizon, and i get 20-25 mbps depending on location. Thats as fast as the iPhone 5 needs to be on cell...

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
That ridiculous claim was silly from the beginning. It's as bad as the android developers telling people they can "uncap" throttling with the 3G hack on their ROMS....

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
maybe not on carriers, but my devices on my home wifi network are still limited by apple, 50ish mbps on 802.11n... card should be able to do atleast twice that, but its an apple ios device, so... isn't that considered throttling in a way??? wouldn't surprise me if if they limited the internal speeds to decrease cell system crashes, but i have a iPhone 5 on a Cellcom with shared 4G connection through Verizon, and i get 20-25 mbps depending on location. Thats as fast as the iPhone 5 needs to be on cell...

What internet service do you have at home that's providing you over 100mbps of bandwidth?

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Told ya'

2013-06-06_at_9.50.08_PM.png

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

I have an iPhone 5 and Speedtest.net app gets me well over 50mbps on WiFi. Heck, I have gotten 60-70mbps on LTE before. The chip is capable and it's not throttled.

----------

What internet service do you have at home that's providing you over 100mbps of bandwidth?

I have no idea what he/she's ISP is but I'm on a university network. I get speeds well over 100mbps through Speedtest.net on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini and MacBook Air.

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
The speedtest.net results must be faked. There's no way LTE loads anything that quickly in "real world" tests, but it claims 30 down 30 up from speed tests. How about investigating that?

----------

Does this mean that all those "4G hacks" are BS?

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
After I read the initial article, I ran SpeedTest on my iPhone 5. I got 10.13 mbps down and 0.00 mbps up on LTE. I'm glad to hear that AT&T is not throttling my data. I can rest easy knowing that it's simply their crappy network. :rolleyes:

I don't see any evidence that AT&T isn't throttling their network, just that they're not doing so directly on the iPhone. Assuming they're using more or less the same tech everywhere, they must be throttling in some locations. I'll just leave this here:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 102

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Well...everyone is welcome to believe what they want, but the update did increase the speeds for lots of people. I seriously doubt that everyone just want the increases and was lying.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
To be fair, I don't doubt that AnAnd's information is completely accurate, but the carriers do have processes and technologies in place to manage their network as they see fit, including the ability to cap speeds and such.

They may not be doing it on the device side, but they certainly do it on the network side as needed. This should not be news to anyone, nor should it be upsetting. It is just a fact of managing networks.

So you still won't admit you were wrong? I figured as much.

----------

Okay...Where are all the smart guys who said I was wrong about it being bogus? Where are you hiding? Come on, admit you were wrong. :D

----------

Well...everyone is welcome to believe what they want, but the update did increase the speeds for lots of people. I seriously doubt that everyone just want the increases and was lying.

Speeds vary from minute to minute. The patch has nothing to do with it.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013

----------

Okay...Where are all the smart guys who said I was wrong about it being bogus? Where are you hiding? Come on, admit you were wrong. :D

----------

Speeds vary from minute to minute. The patch has nothing to do with it.

I believe it's called egg on face. Anandtech is about as reliable as they come. Anyone who believed that some developer sitting in a basement could "unlock" full speed should take a look at the bridge I'm selling.

----------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

Jeff.H

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
...and they don't turn over your usage records to the government just to make sure you're not doing anything wrong either, right?:rolleyes:

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
Once again, they just proved that Apple has nothing to do with it. The carriers may very well be targeting iPhone users with throttling as a way to manage their networks. Don't take me at face value. Read AnandTech's piece, and find anywhere where they prove the carriers don't throttle iPhone users.

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Throttling well ok but why doing it on the phone???

Seriously you do it on your local infrastructure as network provider therefore you throttling ALL type of devices, not only iDevices...

Here in Switzerland with Swisscom all abo have LTE but they limit the speed by the price : 100$/month = 4G @ 7.2Mbit
169$/month = 4G @ full speed...

And no distinction between iPhones or androids...

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California

I would invite you to test your reading comprehension skills and find a post where I argued that the dev making accusations was correct. At no point did I explicitly say that I thought they were throttling data at the device level.

My stance was and is that they do it somewhere, most likely at the network level.

If it makes you feel any better, you were right, but that doesn't make me wrong. Essentially we were arguing different points, but I get it - have to make yourself feel big somehow. :rolleyes:

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013

50mbps download speed on home Internet access is really, really good. But what does your ISP advertise, more than that? It's limited by your ISP, not the wifi card.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I would invite you to test your reading comprehension skills and find a post where I argued that the dev making accusations was correct. At no point did I explicitly say that I thought they were throttling data at the device level.

My stance was and is that they do it somewhere, most likely at the network level.

If it makes you feel any better, you were right, but that doesn't make me wrong. Essentially we were arguing different points, but I get it - have to make yourself feel big somehow. :rolleyes:

Just a little touchy huh. Yes, I have a deep need to lift myself up by trying to put you down. What can I say...I'm needy. :) Seriously though, you are over reacting in my opinion. I was only being half serious in my original post. I give you credit for not running away from the truth like every one else. We were not discussing whether or not providers "manage their networks" though. Maybe you were, but that's not what the original rumor was about and that's not what I or most others were talking about. Relax...it's all good. :)

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
And FM radio stations have the ability to decrease the signal strength of the frequency being received by Ford vehicles, while increasing the signal strength by Chevy and Dodge cars.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
not so sure

im not so sure in the case of ATT i would think they do. No i dont have evidence but we do already know they can throttle based on location. Soo that means just because a few of you can get a good speed test it does not mean is it is not true. do i think they do it to just iPhone users no i think they throttle everyone because it saves them some change.

Ohh to all you people whining about the whining get over it its a forum your supposed to comment on the posts. You all sound just as bad defending another dumb founded post. its in the name for gods sake RUMORS and some of us like to speculate. perhaps you should go read macFacts.com if this site upsets you so much

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I wonder if it was malware that the poster of the original article supplied as a tweak for the phones. I find it amazing how people automatically take rumors as fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.