Carrot weather does not auto update complication

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by fox1401, Sep 28, 2015.

1. fox1401 macrumors regular

fox1401

I am using watchOS2, and I occurs to me that Carrot weather does not update the complication data automatically. It only updates until I manually tap on the complication to load the app. I have already set the location service to "always".

2. abdulkar.im macrumors 6502a

abdulkar.im

I don't think it updates that much unless you pay the extra subscription for hourly refreshes...

3. fox1401 thread starter macrumors regular

fox1401

Yes, I have subscribed.

4. abdulkar.im macrumors 6502a

abdulkar.im

Hmmm, should be hourly then. Mine updates hourly, but seems like much longer as it'll state... "Sunny for 3 HRS", then "Sunny for 2 HRS".... etc

5. slester macrumors member

I noticed this with Dark Sky as well. I switched back to the native weather complication because of this. There are definitely bugs that need to be worked out.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Based on what you just wrote, isn't that doing it hourly? :)

If he paid for the extra $1.99 he may need to re-open the watch app to synch and / or open the app and do the toggle command on/off to make sure. Also, use the modular face and add two carrot complications. If the second one switched to wind speed, it got your hourly update working. :)

7. abdulkar.im macrumors 6502a

abdulkar.im

That's what I'm saying, it just seems longer when only the "HRS" is changing when the weather is consistent - Quite a rarity in the UK!

8. fox1401 thread starter macrumors regular

fox1401

Yes, you are right, it seems to be laggy instead of not updating. I guess it is the problem of watchOS2.

9. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Ahhh that makes sense. I just go the app this weekend with the hourly updates and it said it was rain for the next hour and then 30 minutes and then next 1 minute and then it stopped and switch to partly cloudy for the next several hours. It was updating each time I raised my wrist if something was changing using th modular and large complication.

Will need to check over time. Start early in the morning as th temp should change a lot.

10. fox1401 thread starter macrumors regular

fox1401

I noticed this problem when I compared the information on iPhone carrot app with the watch face complication. The watch didn't update with iPhone. I tried to put down my wrist and raise it up for several times but it still didn't update.

11. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

I paid the subscription free and have two carrot complications on my watch face. They do appear to update a lot. I know i will look one min and it will say rain for the next 2 hours but it will then update if that changes. I'm probably going to just delete dark sky (suspect it's causing battery drain with the new update) but I do love dark sky's rain notifications.

12. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Suggest leaving Dark Sky on your phone and having the notifications come to your watch when its going to rain. You might continue the glace too if you like having that. I have gone back to the regular weather complication for now with just the temperature. Reason being, it has been about to rain for a while here and during that period the complication shows an umbrella and the word "soon" which is fine but I want to know the temperature too. I have to launch the app to get that so I have gone back to Dark Sky as a glance, setup notifications for rain and replaced the default temp on the complication. Not sure exactly what I was hoping for other than the option to get "feels like" on the complication versus real temp. If they offer that I will switch it on again but for now I'm good.

BTW, the built in app, Dark Sky and Weather Underground all at once for a single location will commonly show 3 different temperatures and at times be as far apart as 6 degrees. If this is the case then about anything will do since its a rough estimate anyhow.

13. abdulkar.im macrumors 6502a

abdulkar.im

I agree, I leave Dark Sky just for the rain notifications and have Carrot and Atmos as my main apps. I actually contacted the developers of Atmos asking if they're working on an iOS9/watchOS2 update and they are, just can't give an ETA.

14. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I wish the Carrot complication would update more frequently than every hour. Quite often I'll see the temperature in the complication, then launch the app on the watch and the temp and conditions update. The Apple weather app will do that too, but less often since it's updating more. If I had to compare the two I would say Carrot is off slightly 75% of the time I look at it, while Apple's is more like 25%.

As for differences between actual temperature values between different apps, I think that's just to be expected. Each app is using a different source with weather stations in different locations. About the only ones I would expect to match would be Apple, Yahoo, and Weather Channel since they all use Weather Channel data as their data source.

15. fox1401 thread starter macrumors regular

fox1401

Developers of Carrot are now considering to switch the wind speed complication to rain percentage. I hope they will do it soon.

16. abdulkar.im macrumors 6502a

abdulkar.im

Or give us a choice would be better....

17. fox1401 thread starter macrumors regular

fox1401

yes. i don't want to keep too many weather app in my device, as they eat up data while updating information. i have consumed 4.5Gb out of my 6Gb data plan this month...(of course not due to the weather app, it won't eat up that much)

18. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I've traded Tweets with Weather Underground regarding their weather app updating and they said that the complication updates:

"every 30min for lifting to see watch face, Apple controls this. It also updates every time you access glance or app."

I'm not a developer, so this is the first I've heard of this. 3rd party complications can only update every 30 minutes?

19. MakerOfCARROT, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

MakerOfCARROT macrumors 6502

MakerOfCARROT

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, just happened on this thread today! I'll try to just answer all the questions in one post.

Complications are a little, well, complicated. They don't behave anything like normal apps. They have a bunch of constraints placed upon them because they're always visible on the watch face, so they can't be running all the time and draining precious battery.

Each time I download new weather data, I pull down the hourly forecast for the next 24 hours and arrange all that data on a "complication timeline" of sorts. This allows the Apple Watch to cache that data and display it at the appropriate time instead of having to run code every time an update is needed. When you scroll the digital crown to go into Time Travel mode, you'll see the data changing every hour on the hour.

So if I download new data at 8:05, the Watch will display the weather for that exact moment in time - and then at 9:00, it'll automatically update the display with what was forecasted for the 9:00 hour without having to download any new weather data. It's great because it'll keep updating with reasonably accurate temperatures/conditions even when you don't have a connection to the internet.

Without the premium upgrade, I'll download new weather data every 4 hours (but the display will still update every hour). With the premium upgrade, I'll download new weather data every hour - so it'll be more accurate.

I agree that it'd be great if I could update more often for premium users, but as I mentioned above complications have a lot of constraints imposed by the Apple Watch to prevent them from using up too much battery. The system imposes a rate limit on the amount of time your complication can spend running code - if you go over that limit, the system kills the complication and prevents it from updating anymore for the rest of the day. Apple specifically recommends updating once an hour at the most. The system is also the one deciding when the complications can run code - so if I set it to wake up and run in 60 minutes, it will only run some period of time *after* that 60 mins has elapsed. Might be 61 minutes, might be 90 minutes, might be even longer. I had to enable background refreshes in the iOS app so that it would wake up, download weather data and then send that over to the Apple Watch because the complication wasn't updating often enough on its own. So be wary of those saying their complication updates more often than once an hour :p

(I'd love to do hourly updates for free, by the way, but sadly each weather data download costs a small amount of money. Downloading new data every hour on the hour, every day of the year, adds up very quickly!)

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to answer! It's not exactly a straightforward topic, and I've been dealing with it for the past 3 months :p

20. MakerOfCARROT macrumors 6502

MakerOfCARROT

Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention how much awesome stuff I've been implementing since version 2.1 debuted in the App Store.

Among other things, you'll soon be able to toggle the "small" complications to display either the temperature only, the temperature plus the current condition, wind data, UV index, precipitation chance, or humidity. You'll also be able to toggle all complication types between the actual and the "feels like" temperature.

21. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Sounds awesome! I prefer seeing actual temperature rather than 'feels like'. That was the only gripe I had about the complication.

By the way... Thank you for your great app! Love the UI!

22. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Can't wait for the ability to display feels like on the Utility face! Here in Houston, the difference between actual and feels like can be quite large.

23. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

This will be really great. Can't wait for the update.

24. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

This has been my experience as well. For the last three days I've had the default, Wunderground, and Dark Sky complications on and they all say different things (but usually within a few degrees of each other). What's annoying is that there is no consistent update pattern. Sometimes Wunderground will be ahead of the curb, then the default updates and I have to go into the other apps, then Dark Sky will update first or just show its icon. It's really annoying.

I guess there's no "perfect weather app."