Carry-all bag for Travelling Geek

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pak^Man, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Hi All,

I’m a self professed gadget-head and travel frequently for work, including internationally (where certain airlines are extreme sticklers for in-cabin luggage allowances). I have been searching for the perfect bag for years, as evident by the 8 or so that I currently own. But I’m still looking for the perfect ONE bad that I can use for 90-100% of my needs when it comes to air travel.

So I thought I’d reach out to the community at MR for help.

I’m looking for a messenger bag (strongly preferred), but a good bag pack will do. Needs to be strong, but light. External pockets are always a huge plus when travelling.

Ideally, I’d like bag that has different compartments, so that things stay organized, and will not cave into a giant mess as I remove items to go through security. Currently I’m using a medium or large Timbuk2 commute with a camera insert if needed, but those aren't the best from an organizational standpoint.

Here’s what I usually carry:

1. Work laptop (Lenovo X220) + charger
    2. Personal laptop (MBA 11”…. Soon to be replaced by a rMBP 13”) w Apple USB DVD Drive
    3. iPad2 for work & iPad Mini for play
    4. Apple wireless keyboard & magic mouse
    5. NewerTech Guardian MAXimus mini: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/GMM8QKIT0GB/
    6. External battery pack for iPads
    7. iPhone 5 in Mophie Air case (personal) + iPhone 5s (work)
    8. A bunch of cables, chargers, international adapters, memory cards, usb dives, etc.
    9. Noise cancelling earbuds + Bose standard earbuds
    10. A few software disks (DVD)
    11. 2x legal pads, with pens

Nice to haves:

12- Nikon D90 with Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 lens & flash gun (only sometimes; but it’s a big item)
    13- Thinkvision 14” portable monitor: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkVision-LT1421-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B005L2NA54

Can you guys recommend something that would 1-11 comfortably, and maybe even 12 ideally, with room for some papers and files if needed?

I appreciate the help!
    Regards,

2. arsimoun macrumors member

Billingham!!!!!

I am a huge fan of Billingham photo bags. Quality construction. I had one for almost thirty years before I had to break down and buy a new one. It had been on six continents and a whole lot of duress with no fuss nor muss. Take a look at the 550 and see if it does what you want.

Good luck.

Adam Rodman

3. wheels0417 macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I just posted about which is the best portable monitor. How do you like the 14" ThinkVision, would you recommend it/review it?
    Thanks!

4. SamMiller0 macrumors member

SamMiller0

5. Svend macrumors member

I have one of these and it's perfect. When I travel, I usually carry a similar amount of stuff as you and this holds everything just fine with room to spare.

On a side note, I carry too much stuff.

http://ogio.com/backpacks/renegade-rss-17