Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdrianaG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I am relocating to South America and would like to carry my iMac onboard in garment bag. Has anybody done this? Thoughts on best way to pad it in the case? Something better than bubble wrap…. (The Mac out of the case is 21.5” x 18.25” x 5”, garment bag limits are L + W +H =51”.)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I wouldn't recommend this. I think it would be better to securely box up the iMac and let it travel as checked baggage.

Reactions: throAU

AdrianaG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Thinking of going with one of these inside of a garment bag.https://www.amazon.com/Carrying-21-5-inch-Computer-TXEsign-Protective/dp/B08QRRR4V2/ref=sr_1_23?crid=1SYX8B6TC6MBB&keywords=imac+travel+case+21.5+inch&qid=1638663577&sprefix=imac+travel+case%2Caps%2C326&sr=8-23

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Thinking of going with one of these inside of a garment bag
That looks nice. But you will still have to take care while traveling, and what if it's not allowed as a carry on? Sure, it'll be tossed around as checked baggage, but it'll be ok if it is packaged correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: throAU

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
You'll have more control over where and how the thing is handled if it is carry on, but there's no guarantee you won't be forced into a situation where someone puts something on top of it

I'd sell it off and get a mini or MacBook personally.

You might be OK with it, but its a risk, and without proper packaging, ensuring the screen is protected properly is going to be difficult.

Reactions: chabig

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Since you mentioned in another thread you are flying First Class, they should be able to fit that garment bag in one of the closets.

Last edited:

AdrianaG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Reporting in months later, was able to get the iMac to Colombia in the padded protective cover within a garment bag. Because we were travelling first class there was more than enough room in the overhead compartment. Walked right through customs without a single question too!.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.