Carrying a MAC

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
3,186
47
I have seen the iLugger bags but other than those is there anything else?
 

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
3,186
47
hehe nice points but lets not get too offtopic here!
 

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
MacPro is heavy at over 40 lbs. at least. I think you need the computer cart to carry it safe for your back. I think Apple should include the small tires on MacPro's bottom as a standard equipment.
 

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
1,204
1
zoran said:
I have seen the iLugger bags but other than those is there anything else?
what do you mean by "carrying?" Is this a one-time deal or are you going to be hauling it around on a daily/weekly basis?
 

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
3,186
47
Not daily, nor weekly but every 1 or 2 months yes for sure.
 

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
1,204
1
zoran said:
Not daily, nor weekly but every 1 or 2 months yes for sure.
to be honest, I don't think there's anything special you have to do. If it were me, I'd just keep the boxes and the little styrofoam things that hold the machines in place during shipping, and carry your machines around in those. I'd probably get a separate bag for cables/keyboards/mice, since stuffing all of that crap back into the box is a real pain.

Just take the usual precautions you'd take when you're carrying something fragile or delicate...don't drop them and try not to jostle them too much; you don't want the head on your HD's to come into contact with the platter.

That's my 2¢, for what it's worth...
 

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
3,186
47
I guess the iMacs box is ideal for moving around but for the MPro? I think its box is too big to just use it as a carrying case, plus the fact that ill have to move around an ACD for using it with the desktop!
 

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
1,204
1
zoran said:
I think its box is too big to just use it as a carrying case, plus the fact that ill have to move around an ACD for using it with the desktop!
you may be right about that, actually, though if it were me I'd probably bite the bullet and do it anyway.

why, may I ask, do you need to lug an MPro/ACD around?
 

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
1,204
1
zoran said:
Because i live in two cities that are 400km away!
ouch...

yea, that's a pickle alright. I dunno, I'd probably just use the boxes. Hate to belabor the point but it's probably your best option, and it doesn't require any additional purchases.

what is you method of travel? If you're driving yourself, the boxes should be no problem. If you're going by bus/air/rail, it's probably not going to work.
 

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
14,910
2,480
St. Louis, MO
Leave the Mac Pro in one place and buy a laptop for travelling.


If the MacPro is as heavy as my G5, it is a real bitch to lug around. I have to do it a couple times a year going between home and college, and I hate it.
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
Real Men of Genius

Today we salute you, Mr. incredibly large computer backpack maker.
When conventional wisdom said no one ought to make a bag to hold a 42 pound Mac Pro, you dared to dream.
You knew the limitations of the human back - and you ignored them.
You made a bag that could hold a 9 pound MacBook Pro, and people cheered.
But you weren't satisfied. You said, "Wait, I think I can still give you 33 more pounds."
So the incredibly large comptuer backpack was born. So crack open an ice cold bud light, Mr. incredibly large computer backpack maker, because you let us unneccessarily crack our backs.
 

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
4,530
286
Dark Castle
get a car first....

add some wheels and you are done....keep them rolling....

For the iMac use the original packing...and for the Mac Pro use also the original packing...add some wheels and a pulling lever....see in the bag stores...or hire someone to carry them for you...it's just once a moth..:p
________
mac game
 
Last edited:

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
1,144
0
New York
your best bet would probably be the iLugger bags; I don't know of anything else like that.

But what you should really do, if at all possible, is get a laptop ;)
 

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
ZoomZoomZoom said:
Today we salute you, Mr. incredibly large computer backpack maker.
When conventional wisdom said no one ought to make a bag to hold a 42 pound Mac Pro, you dared to dream.
You knew the limitations of the human back - and you ignored them.
You made a bag that could hold a 9 pound MacBook Pro, and people cheered.
But you weren't satisfied. You said, "Wait, I think I can still give you 33 more pounds."
So the incredibly large computer backpack was born. So crack open an ice cold bud light, Mr. incredibly large computer backpack maker, because you let us unnecessarily crack our backs.
Nicely done. You should copy right it before Bud Light ad men use this line for the next ad.

I would like to see the actual people lugging iMac or MacPro/PowerMac on the back pack. The weight of it could be close to what you carry for climbing Mt. Everest (well, not Everest; maybe Mt. Helena).
 

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
3,186
47
Only a suitcase with a lever and wheels is what i was looking for in the first place, but is there one for the MPro out yet? Or should i just have to get one for luggage and modify it accordingly?
 

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
3,186
47
beatsme said:
what is you method of travel? If you're driving yourself, the boxes should be no problem. If you're going by bus/air/rail, it's probably not going to work.
i mostly my car, but not always, so i guess i must be prepared for the worst!