Carrying an MBP in a backpack

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saxon48, Feb 25, 2011.

1. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Have found conflicting answers on the internet in regards to this. So I must ask, is it safe to carry to my MBP (vertically, obviously) in a backpack while it's in sleep mode, or would it be preferable to turn it off when transporting it? Don't really have the money to invest in a special laptop carrying case or anything similar for the time being...

The reason I'm asking this is because I just had my HDD replaced after owning my MBP for only a year and a half. Call me paranoid, but I've developed this thought that carrying my laptop in my backpack all the time may have jarred the HDD, leading to this replacement.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Of course it is (safe), I do it all the time.

Thing is, don't bang it around everywhere, slam it down, bump into stuff, handle it like a football, etc. Common sense dude - it's still a computer with sensitive components. You don'thave to baby it either, but handle with care and you'll be fine.

Also - I keep mine in a sleeve inside my backpack's laptop compartment - offers a little more cushion of protection ;) any bit helps.

3. simsaladimbamba

I carry my MacBook Pro in either a backpack or side bag, and as the HDD is powered down during sleep, only the RAM is powered during sleep, it doesn't matter how you carry the MBP during its sleep.

4. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

When you put a Macbook/Pro into sleep mode there will be a little light at the front right. When you put this into sleep mode it will stay on permanently for a few seconds. Do not put it into your backpack just yet. Then it will start pulsating like breathing in sleep. At this point it is safe to move around as the hard drive has stopped spinning. If you have an SSD in your notebook it is safe to move as soon as the lid is closed.

When it is in your backpack, as long as you're not bashing it around it will be fine. :)

5. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

6. saxon48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

I've never had my laptop jarred/banged around, whether it's in the backpack or not. Just needed some reassurance that I'm not damaging any of the internals during my daily commute. Just ever since I got my HDD replaced, I've been a tad OCD in carrying it and whatnot. Cheers! :D

May considering investing in a sleeve in the near future, though.

7. whyzdom macrumors regular

I've used a backpack for 5 years on my current 15" mbp, never even used a sleeve. With that said, I just ordered a 17"... have a new bag (messenger this time) coming along with a sleeve and a speck hard case. I don't think you will have any problems carrying it that way.

8. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I've been carrying my laptop in a backpack in sleep mode for the past 4 years or so. As long as you wait for it to go to sleep mode before moving it around you won't have any problems.

9. MoodyMedStudent macrumors member

Get a SSD and you won't have to worry about this.

10. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

Sounds like a great idea.
    Except the whole It costs a ton of money part.

11. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Hardly...if you're willing to spend so much on the computer itself, spend some money to keep it functioning better if your situation requires it.

A hybrid SSD/HDD drive isn't that expensive.

12. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Just remember to turn off any bluetooth mouse if you carry one in the bag as that will wake up the computer when pressed. Other than that, sleep mode is what I use when carrying the computer in my bag.

13. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I've thrown my MBP around in a shoulder bag for a year, never turn it off and its fine, not had a problem. So guess its safe to carry it in a back back. If your worried turn it off when traveling, or if you have bags of cash get a SSD.

14. pricej636 macrumors 6502

I put mine in a neoprene padded sleeve and then in my backpack. Just a little extra padding.

15. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I put mine in my back pack every day and take it to work with me. Works perfectly..

16. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

I used to carry my 15inch MBP in a an unpadded nortface all the time, until i dropped my bad down one day and felt the clunk as my unprotected machine hit the ground. thankfully no damage

I got this and love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Sport...ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1298672807&sr=8-1-spell

has a a little pocket on the outside which holds the Magic mouse perfectly. Cant go wrong with this sleeve if you have a 15in MBP

17. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

No problems should arise. Get a hardshell or sleeve to put your laptop in. It'll sleep like a baby.

18. AvengedX7 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a hard shell case from target for 20$. If you're really worried. Throw it in that then put it in the backpack to be safe.

19. Koning macrumors member

Well the OCZ Vertex II is a very decent choice and it's just 180 euro's for 120GB, don't find that an awful lot of money, seeing what you get from it...

20. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

That depends on your neighborhood. :cool:
    West LA? probably safe.
    East LA? not so much....