carrying and/or storing a spare battery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kylera, Dec 20, 2010.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I recently bought an extra battery for my old PB G4, but I'm sure my question can apply to any portable Mac that doesn't have an internal battery. As the topic says, what's a good way to carry around a spare battery so that it is adequately protected?

Also, if it seems like the spare won't be used for a while, what is a good way to store it so it doesn't lose its charge or go out of order? Much thanks in advance.

2. covisio macrumors 6502

covisio

As far as storage is concerned, I'm pretty sure that Apple recommend that you store a battery long term with around 50% charge. It does explain the reason somewhere.

If I were you, though, in order to keep both batteries in good condition, I would just rotate them as often as needed.

These batteries are pretty dismal. I've had three, in five years, in my PBG4 and this latest one now won't hold a charge for very long.

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

So in other words, swap them every time I finish one? Fair enough.

BTW, nice sig.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just care for your battery in transport the way you would care for your Mac.
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ