Carrying around 2 devices

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gusty987, Feb 8, 2008.

1. gusty987 macrumors newbie

For those of you that carry around a cell phone and an iPod touch on a daily basis, how do you manage this? Does it get irritating after a while? I have a PDA smartphone and just got a touch today, but it seems like it might get annoying walking around with the cell in the left pocket and the touch in the right all the time. I planned on waiting until the iPhone gets 3G to pick one up, but I may go grab one if it turns out to be too much of a hassle worrying two devices.

2. radpanic macrumors member

Honestly, I don't carry my iPod touch everywhere but when I do carry it, it's not bad because it's so thin. I have a Blackberry Curve that stays on my belt and the iPod goes in my pocket. What I hate is having to keep up with the headphones. When are we gonna have them option to implant the speakers right in our ears!;)

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I always carried 2 devices at the same time. Phone and an iPod. Phone is in my left jeans pocket, iPod in in the right. No problems with it.

BTW, when I take Shuffle I just clip it to the jeans right pocket. This way I can even change tracks and volume without taking my hands out of my coat's pocket :D

4. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I ditched my cell phone after installing the SIP-VoIP application and adding a dock mic to my iPod touch. Works like a charm!

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

Same here except iPod in the left pocket and cell in the right. Quite comfortable.

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Do you mean that you can make phone calls on the IPT?

7. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I normally have 3 things with me, keys, wallet and phone. Adding the iPod touch to the mix isn't much more of a hassle, as it's so thin and doesn't weigh much.

It is a bit annoying doubling up one pocket though, usually the iPod touch and the phone, however I don't always take the touch with me. It's just not worth taking it clubbing ;)

8. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

At work - here's how I roll :)

• Right front pocket - phone
    • left front pocket - house/car key, coins
    • Rear left pocket - ipod touch, in a sock my sister knitted me
    • Rear right pocket bunch of work keys.

Works well - but I recommend you use a belt. Nothing worse than your trousers falling down in front of people. Some days I elimate all of this junk by just wearing cargo trousers. The best trousers for techies! I can even put screwdrivers, tea bags and biscuits in my pockets :D

Note: this is by far the most obscure post I've ever made. So thanks for that!

In all seriousness though, the fact that it is so easy to carry around both around means that I've never regretted getting the iPod Touch over the iPhone.

9. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Correct. Using a VoIP company that supports SIP. There are dozens of them out there, and many offer extremely low plans (similar to Skype's rates, though Skype itself doesn't support SIP). You can both make outgoing and receive incoming calls.

SIP on the iPod touch isn't as robust as a cell phone, but for folks like me who make just a few cell phone calls per month, it's perfect.

10. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

now that was funny.:D

if you think you have a problem carrying 2 devices go back to 1992 or so and carry around one of those big ass cell phones.

than you will be able to appreciate what you have now.

11. gowanis macrumors 6502

i carry a treo 700w and the touch. i only keep the touch with me during my train commute/work. otherwise its kinda useless since wifi is almost never available. i want the iphone badly but i'm concerned about voice quality, data quality, and recessed headphone jack compatability.

while i really want to only carry one device, i'd settle for a way to have my treo become a wifi hotspot for my touch.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

I don't carry two devices. I carry an iPhone. Haha

13. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I carry my cellphone which used to be a blackberry but now that I have a touch, I bought (or acquired) a free phone from my free upgrade that I had that is very small and merely makes calls and sends texts. It is great that I have this tandem of PDA/Web/Notes/Calendar in my pocket and then I have a small phone as well.

14. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

and you have a touch, why?

15. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

For the same reason he has a macbook and a macbook air :rolleyes:

16. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Apple would have an amazing stock price if all the customers were like him, hehe.

17. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I do carry both around with me. I use my touch as a PDA. I like having the 2 devices that way I can check my schedule, email etc. while on my cell. touch is thin enough that this is not a problem.

18. weaponofchoice macrumors newbie

I have mi touch and my k800 and IT IS very annoying be carrying the two devices everywhere. I am considering getting an iphone instead, and the 1.1.3 unlock is the motivation I was waiting for. To sum up I am on the same boat as you right now.

19. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I was close to getting the all in one solution Apple has called the iPhone...here's my problems:

1. Smaller storage: Though slightly bigger now...but HELLA expensive. A 400 dollar bomb on a touch device was bad enough.
    2. Monthly bill: There is already roughly 50 bucks per bill to pay per month. 20 dollars more for shady internet everywhere didn't seem to appease me. Oh, and I want unlimited texts. So that's like now 35 dollars or something.
    3. Battery Life: I get 30 hours of talk time and FOUR DAYS of standby time on my cheap little phone, and my iPod touch has never dropped below 90% battery in a fully day usage of web browsing, note taking, and music listening. You really would need to watch a few music videos in a row for it to go to 50%

There are glaring advantages but those three are killers enough for me to be happy with carrying a small phone of a device and my beautiful new iPod/PDA instead.

Oh, and being on a college campus, I get internet virtually anywhere anyway.

20. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

21. aethelbert macrumors 601

My company bought me both the iPhone and the air. For some reason they always upgrade technology, especially from Apple, once it comes out. I got a macbook pro from them back in July. They replaced it with a macbook air. They use a 6 month update plan. I have no idea why they replaced the iPhone to 16GB as I didn't really want them to. The macbook is a shared home computer. And I'm a stockholder in Apple so I do wish that more people were like me. haha.

22. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Haha that was my first guess, the "company excuse". But that's pretty sweet...and I want to work for your company now!

23. aethelbert macrumors 601

Just learn to speak German and get a pilots license. The air is nice for traveling which I do A LOT of. I don't know why they adopted iPhones.

24. aft macrumors regular

you work for the greatest company in the world. Mine replaces my laptop every three years (not bad) but my wife still has a Pentium 1 laptop rockin windows 95 ouch!