Carrying around a 13 in MBP vs 15 in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BaseballGuy, Aug 3, 2012.

1. BaseballGuy macrumors newbie

I was just wondering how noticeable the difference is. I will be carrying either one around campus in a backpack. 2 days a week I'll have at least two textbooks in my backpack.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would opt for the 13" Macbook Air over either one if I was lugging it around all the time :)

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The difference is hardly noticeable if you're of average fitness.

I carry my 15" MBP in a moderately loaded backpack daily, no problem.

The 15 is only 1.1 lb. more. Easy Peasy :)

4. BaseballGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

I've thought about the Air, but I'd actually use the disk drive and I don't want to carry around the attachment...

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well, if you are going to use the optical a lot, then you may prefer the Pro
    I rarely use one, and have the Apple Drive when I do
    Very compact and light weight for when you do need it

I doubt you will find the difference in the 13" and 15" to be too substantial
    If I were going to get a MBP it would be the 15"

6. Drask macrumors regular

I'd say go with your personal preference, weight won't be a that much of a factor since you're already carrying textbooks etc, so one pound won't make that much of a difference, and its just twice a week.

It's all about what you enjoy more and the type of desk you're given at your campus. I went with the 15" because of the real state, but I picked up a rMBP and a superdrive. I rarely use one so its the best of both worlds, lighter, thinner and more real state screen,

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have carried both and didn't notice a difference at all. If you want the bigger screen then go for the 15". I find the 15" screen space to be invaluable, I just feel cramped on a 13" screen after using the 15"

8. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

Even though I'm getting the 15" Retina, I think the 13" pro is a perfect size for carrying. It just feels perfect not too big not too small. The retina is an amazing size for me, because before the Retina I was planning to get the 15" anyway. I wanted the extra power and the speakers.

If you really want portability then get the Air, but for the Pro 13" is a perfect size :) Maybe wait for the 13" Retina? :O

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

With a couple of textbooks in your bag, the weight difference will hardly be noticeable. That said, I'm not sure why you'd take your textbooks to class

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Regardless of fitness level, the difference still is noticeable.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Duh...

I didn't say it wasn't.

What I _did_ say is from my perspective it's hardly noticeable.

Fitness level _does_ matter. If one is very active, strong, & fit, carrying an extra few lbs is of no consequence, that's just a fact.

It's as simple as that. :)

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I've been carrying my rMBP and its not heavy at all. And I have 4 portable hard drives, my headphones, mouse, and power cable. Not bad at all.

13. BaseballGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

I would wait for the 13" Retina but I can't afford to. I need a computer in 2 weeks.

----------

I'll be a Freshman, I guess I'm just assuming..

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Ah well - I'm going to be a senior. I don't really know of anyone who brings their textbooks to the lectures, unless the professor specifically requests it (mostly for "flipped" classes). And really, it'd be a distraction. Best is to read the material the night before, take notes during the lectures, and then read again that night while referencing your notes.

15. BaseballGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, thanks for the advice.

16. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

13" Air or Pro would be good :) Go to the apple store and check them out before you make your final decision!