Carrying case for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Jul 3, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I'm going to college and I have a backpack that has a pocket in it JUST for a 15" laptop, but I don't want to leave the MBP in it with all my books. I saw a $35 Incase cloth case, like a bag essentially, and I have a $35 gift card for BestBuy. Is the Incase carrying case good for college, I plan to carry with it everywhere for taking notes, but I'm not entirely sure.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The incase neoprene sleeves are really popular choice for the MB's.

3. hamish5178 macrumors member

Be aware though that the incase sleeve is loose on the unibodys, I have one, and had I known that would have gotten something different. I still may when I feel like wasting $40.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

5. mrrippey macrumors regular

+1 use this and put it in my coach messenger bag. works

6. ski2moro macrumors 6502

+1 for Booq

Booq is the best. Fits perfectly, protects well. I had the neoprene Incase and didn't like the how sloppy it fit, took it back and ordered Booq. You won't regret it.

7. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

When I first bought my Black MacBook, I bought an Incase bag at Best Buy that was very similar to this one:
    http://www.turntablelab.com/images/content/1/0/10984.jpg

It was for a 15" notebook, however, so it's not a snug fit, but I like that it has a strap so that I can carry it easily. I can't seem to find them on Incase's website anymore though. I believe it was replaced by their 15" Neoprene Sleeve Plus.

When I bought my 13" MacBook Pro, I bought the AppleSac too. I really like the design, but it does seem to shed a lot. The MacBook is safe as long as you clean the inside of it with a lint roller, and nothing has seemed to get inside of it anymore. But since the case has no strap, you have to carry it by hand if you don't have a backpack, and as much as a love the case, it's a very thin material, and I didn't feel like the MacBook was entirely secure while I was carrying it. My shirt had a lot of fibers from carrying it afterword too, and this was after I ran the lint roller over it several times. I think most of the fibers are gone now though. But I also think that the thinness of the sleeve is what makes it so attractive. So the AppleSac is a good case to protect the MacBook from scratches. I haven't carried it around in a backpack with books though, so I don't know how well it would cope.

8. Ann P macrumors 68020

Definitely the Incase Neoprene. They are on sale at Best Buy for $29, just got mine in-store the other day.

9. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

A soft sided neoprene sleeve will only stop scratches, it won't do anything to stop it being crushed by the books in your backpack.
    For college in a backpack with books, you need a hard sided sleeve. My sister has a Booq Vyper which is a great choice. I went with the Tom Bihn Vertical Brain Cell. These are both excellent choices for what you describe. I think the Tom Bihn is worth the extra money though for the extra protection, the thing is tank.

10. fk51785 macrumors regular

Get the incase cases, I think they are the best cases for macbooks.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The incase neoprene case is a rip-off, especially for the ubiquitous 15" size. You know how companies mark up their "Made for Mac" perifs even though they are essentially the same thing they put out for PCs? Well bags are no different.

Do a PriceGrabber or Google search for "15" neoprene sleeve." You'll easily find them for $10.

If you think these less expensive don't come out of the same Chinese factory as the Incase model I'd like to sell you my rare, and highly collectable vintage Mac Duo 280 for the low, low, price of $4500. You can get double that on eBay I'm sure. Act fast though. Offer ends midnight tonight.

12. coolbreeze macrumors 65832

If you're going the incase route, visit your local TJ Maxx and you will find a ton of them. (actually I think the neoprene sleeves are Built NY brand)

They are ~ $10-$16.

I got a padded incase sleeve (not neoprene) for my 17" uMBP from there for $16. It's all fuzzy inside and provides great protection.

EDIT: just in case you go drive to your TJ Maxx and don't see any...I'm in the NE PA area. At least they have them here (YMMV).

They also have a ton of plastic shells for the previous gen MBP (with the CD slot in the front) for $10.

13. Panzo macrumors 6502

vyper m3, mine is on the way. nothing fits like that case, fits like a glove

14. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

+1

Have the Slimcase XL bag.

15. cababah macrumors 68000

I use one of the Tucano notebook sleeves for the 13" uMB that I had and I sold the uMB for the 13" MBP. The sleeve is very very snug and the build quality is excellent. It also has that built in sleeve with the cushion to make sure your computer does not move inside.

I am surprised not many other people mention it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JMFOIM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GLDW1C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TJ8WXC96MFTM818ZA44

16. Smoothie macrumors 6502

Nothing better than WaterField Designs:

www.sfbags.com

Not cheap, but it fits my MBP perfectly.