Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iuzunov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
Hello,everyone!I'm new to this forum,although I constantly "steal" information from it.
The reason why I'm writing to you is because I have a friend in the US (I'm from Europe - Bulgaria) who would like to bring a couple of the upcoming iPhone 6s'.Since we have never done that before and don't have any information on the current laws in the US,we are concerned that there might be added some kind of fines at the airport or even worse - not letting my friend get on the plane with the iPhones.
Decided you could help on that matter :)
Thank you in advance!

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Welcome to the forums. Depending on which state your friend is purchasing the iPhone's from, he or she may have to pay sales tax on the item. Typically between 6-10%.

Here's all I could find in regards to what will need to be declared for the U.S. customs but this is mostly upon return to the U.S. and not leaving the U.S.: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/declare

However I can't find anything that states any additional charges or fees will be required on the U.S. side. I can't speak of Europe/Bulgaria laws so there might be a tax or fee there.

But in reality this happens all the time, a lot of people fly into the U.S. and purchase the latest version of the iPhone and I haven't read or heard of any issues. Perhaps somebody on this site has some experience in doing this.

Last edited:

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
The U.S. custom will not care what you bring out of the country. You should however worry about entering your own country with a couple of iPhones for duties and violations.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Like others said. You local customs might charge you government tax fees or if there's many devices they might even confiscate them.
Ask your countries customs agency for information on importing electronics and what is allowed and what fees there might be.

david91

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
I didn't know that it was an issue. Good thing I can add up my knowledge with these forum. Still learning though! You could use VPN in crossing borders but I bet you have to pay tax for the device you have when you land into that place.

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
Or just not declare it and walk right through into Bulgaria ? Do they do body searches over there ?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Or just not declare it and walk right through into Bulgaria ? Do they do body searches over there ?

Customs can inspect all carry on bags and checked luggage.
You can have your cell phone on you as a personal device but if you have 2-3 sealed in their box iphones with you then they are treated as merchandize that needs to be declared and taxed accordingly.
And if you lie and don't declare anything you could face fines and penalties.
That's why I told him to find out the rules before, not after he gets there;)

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014

"Main article: Human trafficking in Bulgaria
Bulgaria is a source and, to a lesser extent, a transit and destination country for women and children who are subjected to trafficking in persons, specifically forced prostitution and men, women, and children subjected to conditions of forced labor."

And he cant smuggle an iPhone to the worlds center of human trafficking :)

"Corruption is a problem in Bulgaria. In 2011, a survey showed that one out of every four Bulgarians who dealt with doctors, police officers, customs officials or judges offered money, a gift or a favour to see their problems solved"

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I didn't know that it was an issue. Good thing I can add up my knowledge with these forum. Still learning though! You could use VPN in crossing borders but I bet you have to pay tax for the device you have when you land into that place.
VPN in crossing borders?

Reactions: Applejuiced

iuzunov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
Thanks a lot,guys!Your help is much appreciated.
Could anyone confirm that the T-Mobile iPhones are NeverLocked and don't require some kind of activation in order to work with all kinds of carries?Another thing I'm concerced about is whether the problem with the CDMA/GSM versions still exist,because as far as I can recall the iPhone 5 CDMA couldn't work with my local carrier?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
You can have your cell phone on you as a personal device but if you have 2-3 sealed in their box iphones with you then they are treated as merchandize that needs to be declared and taxed accordingly.
And if you lie and don't declare anything you could face fines and penalties.
That's why I told him to find out the rules before, not after he gets there;)

In Bulgaria you face the death squad (you can choose either firing squad or self-immolation) for sneaking in undeclared iPhones. This guy was caught bringing in Galaxy S5's for resale without the proper declaration: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/09/body-of-british-tourist-found-bulgaria-teacher-ethan-mcken-missing-swim (too soon?).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
"Main article: Human trafficking in Bulgaria
Bulgaria is a source and, to a lesser extent, a transit and destination country for women and children who are subjected to trafficking in persons, specifically forced prostitution and men, women, and children subjected to conditions of forced labor."

And he cant smuggle an iPhone to the worlds center of human trafficking :)

"Corruption is a problem in Bulgaria. In 2011, a survey showed that one out of every four Bulgarians who dealt with doctors, police officers, customs officials or judges offered money, a gift or a favour to see their problems solved"

He's going by Plane so there's usually customs agents there when you board off.
He's not running in by foot over some wooded area...

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
He's talking about any legal issues with bringing multiple iPhones from the US into his country, and any taxes or fees that would be necessary. Why are you talking about a VPN?

iuzunov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
Thanks again,guys!Can anybody confirm that the T-Mobile (free of contract) Iphone 6 is unlocked to any carrier and doesn't have to be activated when bought new?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks again,guys!Can anybody confirm that the T-Mobile (free of contract) Iphone 6 is unlocked to any carrier and doesn't have to be activated when bought new?
Pretty sure I still needed an already activated SIM for initial set-up. That said, yes, it is unlocked. I've used my T-Mobile iPhone 6 on T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon. VoLTE even worked fine with Verizon right from the start. I've also used it overseas (Philippines) with a local carrier.

iuzunov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
Pretty sure I still needed an already activated SIM for initial set-up. That said, yes, it is unlocked. I've used my T-Mobile iPhone 6 on T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon. VoLTE even worked fine with Verizon right from the start. I've also used it overseas (Philippines) with a local carrier.
Excuse me if I'm wrong,but isn't there a T-Mobile SIM already in the iPhone?Doesn't it do the job to activate the phone?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Excuse me if I'm wrong,but isn't there a T-Mobile SIM already in the iPhone?Doesn't it do the job to activate the phone?
Yeah, that works, too. I know I needed a SIM in there. It won't let me set up the phone with the SIM slot empty.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think you might want the SIM-free version that is unlocked and supports even more carriers than the unlocked T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon version.

Reactions: rui no onna

iuzunov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
I think you might want the SIM-free version that is unlocked and supports even more carriers than the unlocked T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon version.
That's a bit confusing.Is the SIM-free version available from day one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.