Carrying over a database?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Rob587, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Ok, I have been working on a new wordpress theme for my site at a different server so I could test it before implementing it. Now it's ready to be transferred to my original site, but I am not quite sure how to go about it.

I basically want the entire wordpress install and theme on my test server to replace everything on my original site, but I need to keep the content. Like images, and posts, but not plugins or anything else.

How do I move my new wordpress files and theme to my original site server and replace all of the existing files, except for the post content and images? What do those files look like? Are they in the database .htaccess file? Will they automatically be inserted into my new theme if I leave them on the server?

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Keep the wp-config.php file and /wp-content/uploads directory and you should be fine. As usual back up your entire website (database and files) before you do this. If you get lots of traffic do it during the time where you get the least amount of traffic.