Carrying over data plan from iPad 2 to iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Joey225, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Joey225 macrumors member

So I have an AT&T data plan on my iPad 2. It was just auto-renewed yesterday.

When I get the new iPad can I just log in to my account on there and my data would be routed there? Or do I have to switch the SIM cards? If I do switch the SIM cards that wouldn't effect the 4G service, correct?

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why don't you call AT&T and ask? After all, they're the ones who can tell you for sure.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

To be fair, I wouldn't put a lot of reliance on what a first level customer service rep is going to say on the question either...

@Joey225: you do realize you've asked a question on how something will work on a device nobody here has in their possession, right? It *ought* to work to just move the SIM, but until someone has an ipad 3rd gen in hand and tries moving the SIM, there's no way to know for sure.

Once the 16th comes along, I bet there will be plenty of people who effect a SIM move and report on whether it affects the 4G service. Then we'll know the effect of doing so. :D

4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I believe that you just switch your sim card, that is what I am doing.

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

This may be old, but at least it comes from AT&T: http://www.att.com/esupport/article...er+iPad+for+prepaid+account?#fbid=lp4n2r-N0Wv

----------

You left one of the lesser usages out, but that may have been an intentional affect.

6. Joey225 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the link. I made the assumption that some people would have gone through this change from the original iPad to the iPad 2 and would know if switching the SIM was all that was needed for transferring your account. Thanks!

7. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

But remember that's an old link, for upgrading original iPads to iPad 2's, and at that time there wasn't a new cellular service offered, and no new pricing plans. It may change this time. Of course there are jillions of people affected by these changes this time (every AT&T upgrader), so hopefully AT&T will publish something definitive. With any luck it'll be as simple as a SIM swap. I'd sure like to keep my grandfathered unlimited plan!

8. Dkorda macrumors 6502

It's going to be fine. Your plan will transfer.. Relax people w/ unlimited plans.

9. Rogue. macrumors regular

Not sure how it works in the States, but in the UK you just take out your sim and put it in your new device.

10. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Bear in mind I think you need a new sim provisioned with LTE. Just like you did when 3G came out.

11. w00tini macrumors 6502a

www.att.com/ipadlanding

simply put your new device ID on your account. it carries over your data plan (including grandfathered in unlimited plans), and disables the old iPad for cell service.

12. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

But do you still change the sim card?

13. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I didn't change the sim card last year when I went from iPad to iPad 2: I just used the link mentioned earlier, and my unlimited data plan transfered.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I don't think a SIM swap would work. Not to go from 3G to LTE. I could be wrong...

15. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I could have sworn when I went from the iPad 1 to iPad 2 last year I didn't have to do any SIM swap. I simply logged in to my AT&T account on the iPad 2 and the option for unlimited was already there.

16. w00tini macrumors 6502a

nope... your plan is the unlimited component, the hardware is not.

17. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Question for everyone regarding this.

Is there any way to still have service on the old device, even if it's a tiered / normal plan?

18. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Last year I did the "SIM swap" from iPad 1 to iPad 2 and sold my original iPad 1 with the new (iPad 2) SIM in it since I didn't need it.

From reading this thread though, it looks like I might want to keep the iPad 3 sim and not do the SIM swap like I did last year: http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-iPad...om-iPad-to-iPad3-new-iPad/td-p/3075727/page/2

I'm going to try this tomorrow when my iPad 3 comes in (no SIM swap, just log into my account on the iPad 3), and then see what happens to the SIM in the iPad 2 (hoping it'll just deactivate so the person I sell it to can just set up a new account with it).

19. sealos macrumors regular

Link totally worked. I did not have to swap SIMs. Just logged into my account within Settings / Cellular Data and it transfered over. Now my iPad 2 shows "No Service".

20. doofoo macrumors member

How long did yours take to switch over? I just did the update from iPad 1 to my new iPad.. Unlimited LTE FTW! :)

Waiting for my old iPad to deactivate and the new to activate, not sure how long it takes though.

21. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Mine has been waiting for about 2 hours.

Transferred unlimited ipad 2 plan to ipad 3 lte via the ipadlanding page. ipad 2 died quickly, ipad 3 is on the network but says I have no data in my plan...

22. doofoo macrumors member

I shut my new iPad down and rebooted it, once it restarted it was online no issues.

23. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I suppose my questions is a bit apropos to the thread's subject...

Did anyone else transfer their iPad 2's data plan (The 2gb $25 plan) to the iPad 3rd Gen?

Unless did that whole $25 2Gb plan disappear? I used it a few times last year since I rarely ever passed 1.5gb on the plan, but the new "3G $30" plan is overkill for me.

I sold my iPad 2 and I'd assume that the sim was deactivated since then.

Thoughts?