Cars with Media Storage capabilities

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Khryz, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Lots of cars now have audio jacks that can connect an iPod to the car stereo where you can control the iPod to play through the cars speakers.

That's good and all but you have to bring your iPod into the car everytime you want to use it. Why hasn't there been cars yet that have large hard-drives in them where you can connect your iPod or media storage device and copy the music and movies you have in your iPod onto the car's internal hard-drive so that you always have your iPod's music in your car and don't have to worry about bringing it with you every time?

I figure this technology can't be that far away and should already be existent in cars of today. You can do this with the PS3 and the Xbox 360 - why not in cars?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

What about doing something similar as using an external hard-drive connected to the head unit?

4. bartelby macrumors Core

After a brief google search I found the JVC KW-XG701.
    It's USB connection allows mass storage devices. I could find if this had a limit like other USB enabled head units.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've actually found that my iPhone makes a great car hard drive. Of course I'm taking it with me where ever I go anyway ;).

Personally I've found iPods to be perfectly adequete. The last thing I want is to have something else I need to put my music on.

6. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know they're adequate but taking my iPod everywhere is more of a hassle than putting my music in my car once and never having to worry about it again.