Cartoons at movie theaters

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by senseless, Mar 31, 2013.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

It would be fun if theaters showed a classic Warner Bros or Fleischer cartoon before a movie. The audience would enjoy it and how much could it cost?

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

they get more revenue showing commercials and previews I guess. Lots of kids movies still do it though. Pixar always shows an original short first.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Disney ran a new short before Oz.

I still wish the old cartoons played Saturday mornings. Our be better than the ADd crap they show now.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Warner Bros. like Merry Melodies or Looney Toones? A good number of those are fairly raciest for modern viewpoints and they'd probable get complaints about them. I used to watch those when I was younger and more innocent about things. I recently started watching them again and was surprised at some of the character drawings and stereotypes. But some of the old throwback WW2 cartoons would be nice to see again.

5. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

A lot of the compilations have a disclaimer, "they were wrong then and they are wrong now."

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Revenues from ads are very profitable for the theaters. I ran one for a committee I sit on and it cost us $2000 for 1 week. Plus I had to design the ad or it would have been more. Now imagine the 20 ads per week they run. Profitable!

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

30-40 years ago, I remember going to a theater and seeing cartoons before the movie. Not sure when they moved away from that as I have never been a frequent visitor to theaters (haven't been since 1997).

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

About the same time the lady stopped coming to the front to sell ice-creams just before the main picture with her torch. How times have changed....

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I was a projectionist back in the day. It was around 1980 or so when the distributors stopped including the cartoons and informative shorts ("This is St Louis!")