Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deltaalphaoscar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
Has anyone owned a Live Edge case by the company Carved over the last few years? I haven’t been able to find very much by way of qualitative reviews for these cases. Only their much older iterations. My main questions are:

• How is the everyday use durability?
  • How well does it do with smaller drops (1-2 feet), and how often do you drop your phone? I am not realistically dependent of the phone/case surviving a 5-6 foot drop, I’m more curious about whether or not I will have cracked an $180 case if it falls out of my pocket when I’m sitting down.
  • And how is the grip? The latest photos I saw looked like the sides were a little ribbed but otherwise smooth.

If there’s a more fitting place to ask this question, please let me know, I just cant find reviews from longer term owners.

Last edited:

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego
Has anyone owned a Live Edge case by the company Carved over the last few years? I haven’t been able to find very much by way of qualitative reviews for these cases. Only their much older iterations. My main questions are:

• How well does it do with smaller drops (1-2 feet), and how often do you drop your phone? I am not realistically dependent of the phone/case surviving a 5-6 foot drop, I’m more curious about whether or not I will have cracked an $180 case if it falls out of my pocket when I’m sitting down.
  • And how is the grip? The latest photos I saw looked like the sides were a little ribbed but otherwise smooth.

If there’s a more fitting place to ask this question, please let me know, I just cant find reviews from longer term owners.
Hey saw your post on the other thread. I have live edge cases as well as my husband. We love them!! They’re decent for every day use- we do switch our cases from time to time but they hold up so well!

No issues with grip or functionality. We haven’t dropped our devices in them but they would probably withstand a minor drop. If not the company is amazing at their customer service and is always willing to help!

I recommend them. They’re gorgeous and if I don’t use an Apple case that’s the brand I use!

Hope this helped!!

Attachments

• F32249B3-3CEF-421B-820E-34260D2B2693.jpeg
    F32249B3-3CEF-421B-820E-34260D2B2693.jpeg
    415 KB · Views: 260

deltaalphaoscar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
@Brooke795, thanks for the input. I did end up getting a live edge case too. One thing I haven't seen much of is photos from the front with a phone in it. I'm mostly curious what screen protectors are compatible with the case. I was going to get a NanoArmor 3, and I typically like edge-to-edge for maximum coverage, but I'm not sure if it'll fit. Do you use a screen protector on yours? If so, can you share some photos of how the edges fit together?

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego
@Brooke795, thanks for the input. I did end up getting a live edge case too. One thing I haven't seen much of is photos from the front with a phone in it. I'm mostly curious what screen protectors are compatible with the case. I was going to get a NanoArmor 3, and I typically like edge-to-edge for maximum coverage, but I'm not sure if it'll fit. Do you use a screen protector on yours? If so, can you share some photos of how the edges fit together?
I can assure you all the protectors will be compatible! I don’t have any pics of the front of my phone.. I am using a different case currently.

Word of caution.. when removing the case be careful. There’s a YouTube video on how to do it right. Another forum member here snapped the case trying to remove it improperly. With that said I don’t pop my case on and off frequently.

Which one did you get? Did you save a picture of the one you chose?

They’re gorgeous cases. Absolutely stunning!

marina2042

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
I have one too and I love mine. I am using a different case otherwise i would post mine. Here is what I noticed when I got mine for iphone 13:

1. It is much thinner then their previous cases. I actually like that a lot more because it's easier to get to the silent button.
2. If you are looking to use a magsafe accessory like a wallet don't bother....the one I have has a super weak magnet and the wallet just falls off. Not sure if you would want to anyway as it would cover up the beautiful case.
3. Grip is great (sides have ribs that make it easy to hold)!
4. I have never dropped the phone with that case on so I cant speak to durability from drops; it's pretty durable for everyday use.
5. The quality is pretty amazing....they really do a great job. The customer service is good too...very responsive and friendly. Which iphone do you have? I still have the carvedcase from an iphone 12 pro max....

deltaalphaoscar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
I have one too and I love mine. I am using a different case otherwise i would post mine. Here is what I noticed when I got mine for iphone 13:

1. It is much thinner then their previous cases. I actually like that a lot more because it's easier to get to the silent button.
2. If you are looking to use a magsafe accessory like a wallet don't bother....the one I have has a super weak magnet and the wallet just falls off. Not sure if you would want to anyway as it would cover up the beautiful case.
4. I have never dropped the phone with that case on so I cant speak to durability from drops; it's pretty durable for everyday use.
5. The quality is pretty amazing....they really do a great job. The customer service is good too...very responsive and friendly. Which iphone do you have? I still have the carvedcase from an iphone 12 pro max....
@marina2042, that's a little unfortunate about the Magsafe strength. I was maybe gonna get a wallet for it, but mostly I wanted Magsafe to use for a car mount. I guess we'll see when it arrives. I've got the 13P and my GF has a 12PM.

HelyCopter23

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2021

how do you order the one that has no rubber on the outside, I've seen pictures when the case wraps the phone but when you go to the site, it only lets you order the rubber one

deltaalphaoscar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
how do you order the one that has no rubber on the outside, I've seen pictures when the case wraps the phone but when you go to the site, it only lets you order the rubber one
On the carved webpage, if you hover over the "Shop" button, there's a row of links below the 4 main images, and one of them is "Live Edge."

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego

Hey there! Was wondering if your case came in and how you like it?

I have been rocking an Apple case for the last two weeks but miss my live edge like crazy. Will be switching back to it today! I just feel they’re so incredibly gorgeous. Would love to see what yours looks like!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.