Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schuda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2021
Hi all, sorry if this has been covered already, I came across a few posts but not addressing this specifically.

I just purchased a 2nd iPad Pro 11" 4th gen and was excited by the idea of getting a keyboard & case. However I was disappointed with what I have found so far. It would seem that most of the option, especially the best ones like Apple's Magic Keyboard and Logitech's models essentially turn your tablet into a laptop with a touchscreen and not really functional as a tablet any more - what happens when you are out in the field and flip the keyboard over, the keys are exposed on the underside, surely not good for longevity or getting damaged, let alone strange to hold.

And what is the point of whole magnetic attachment with the Magic keyboard - all Apple phones and tablets are clearly not designed to be used in any real world scenarios without a case/protective covering, in fact they seem specially designed to be as slippery and fragile as possible - not a good combination!!!

Is there any case and keyboard (with a trackpad) combination, that swivels or has some other design so that the keyboard is covered/protected when you are using it as a handheld tablet? And also ideally when using it in keyboard mode, the keyboard hinge holds the screen in place (so you can use it on your lap rather than relying on a hard flat surface it all sits it)

For the meantime, in order to be able to use the iPad without fear of damage, I bought a STM Dux Plus case, as I was impressed with the design and durability with a similar model I got for an iPad mini a few years ago. So am wondering if there is something like the Magic Keyboard that is stand alone (with a trackpad) that I can connect via bluetooth ?

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I have the Magic Keyboard (came with my Mac) and am using that when I use my iPad Pro 12.9 with a magnetic stand from moment. Any blue toothbrush track pad or mouse that is Apple compatible can be used when needed. I also have the Magic Keyboard with track pad from Apple for traveling when needed. I have found that my Nomad magnetic case and Apple keyboard are also sufficient for travel as well. The only advantage to using my moment stand at home is that it swivels for landscape mode.

Poppleropples

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
I thought the Logitech Combo Touch had a detachable magnetic keyboard, just take it off and the flip cover is still there to protect the device? I was planning on getting it for that reason

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I thought the Logitech Combo Touch had a detachable magnetic keyboard, just take it off and the flip cover is still there to protect the device? I was planning on getting it for that reason

There are two. I tried both. The original design had a permanently attached keyboard that flipped over to the back of the ipad when not in use. That design wasn't ideal so they replaced it with a model that has a detachable keyboard. That's the current model and the one that would have fit what the OP is looking for.

Reactions: Poppleropples

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022

I've had the combo touch for almost a year now and the case itself is good but the keyboard leaves a lot to be desired. Keyboard is too crammed width wise. And the keys don't have that much feedback, a little too mushy for my liking.

I just kept my iPad Pro in The Logitech combo case and then I added a MX mini keys to it. Regular size keyboard, its waaaaaay better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.