Case and skin for iphone -- need both?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by matasar, Nov 12, 2008.

1. matasar macrumors newbie

Hi all -- just a quick question from a noob:
    After a lot of (very helpful and insightful) advice here, I've decided to go with the incase slider. What's not clear is, should I also be protecting the phone with one of the film appliques (bodyguardz, e.g.), or is the case adequate protection all around?

2. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I'm not 100% sure.. but i'm about 95% sure that a skin like what you've mentioned will not work with the incase slider.... slider cases in general even have a tough time with miss-aligned screen protectors... they are meant to fit very tight to your phone

3. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

My wife and I both have the BodyGuardz on our iphones. She has white and I have black. It works perfect for us. She took the back of hers off because one of the edges was peeling off and after removing it her phone was in Mint condition. I had the incase slider on my first gen and it is a tight fitting case. Im not sure if the slider will not mess up the body guard if slid on. I am lso interested in the slider if it wont mess up the bodyguard. But to answer your question the Bodyguard does an excellent job as long as you dont drop it.

4. larapumkin macrumors regular

using both is best imo..because unless the case is perfectly blocking dusts, phone will get scratched by those little tiny dirts inside of the case without skins..

5. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I got on youtube and ayobonus(Sean) tried the black incase slider with the full body shield and it didnt work. He does alot of case reviews and if he cant get it to work then I doubt I can. I suppose i will just stick with the full body shield.

6. matasar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

But the incase leaves the screen unprotected, right? So do people get just a front bodyguardz (or whichever brand of choice) protector?...

7. genetic macrumors 6502

Yes, most do purchase seperate screen films (bodyguardz, Power support etc) . Now, you dont necessarily NEED the film, the screen is actually very durable and high quality. In my opinion, you should have a film on your screen, most of them are not even noticeable without looking VERY closely. and of course the big question, which film to purchase? do you want an anti-glare film? theres tons out there, and most have been reviewed on the forums so do a search for a few and see what people have said about them. i currently have a bodyguardz screen film and the iskin solo on my phone right now, and i love it. hope this helps! :p

8. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

If you want a good case you could go with agent18 those cases are sweet I think

9. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I would stay away from Agent 18... for the 3G... to many people have had issues with marking up their phones etc...

As for my combo... I use a naked iPhone in my Seidio Innocase II surface case There's no way a filmed iPhone would work.... with a powersupport anti-glare on the front and a square cut out to cover the logo on the back... my phone looks absolutely mint on the back and screen.... The chrome has 1 knick on it but that was from me being stupid...

I would recommend either the Incase or the Seidio if you're looking for minimal bulk... Incase is 1mm thick and seidio is .8mm thick...

As for screen protectors... I prefer anti-glare/anti-finger print since it doesn't show any fingerprints... I have used a crystal set and the finger prints drove me nuts!!

I went through 3 cases before I found the one I liked and one fullbodyfilm... I'm very happy with my final combo

10. sourlemons98 macrumors newbie

Its usually not necessary to have both the body films and a separate case. A descent case would be sufficient, or the body films by themselves are usually sufficient as well.

Also, may "hard" cases, like crystal cases would probably not fit properly with the body films.

11. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

i use both but a slider wont work.

I use like silicone case, or a pouch or a personal favorite the SwitchEasy Capsule Rebel!