Case came - so glad I got the 6 instead of the 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jman13, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Jman13 macrumors 68000

My Spigen Neo Hybrid case came. It's a very thin case with a slight lip, but it's not much bigger than the phone.

Two things are very apparent:

1) These phones are crazy thin. The case, with the lip, is crazy thin (barely thicker than the 5S bare).

2) I'm so glad I preordered the 6 instead of the 6+. I should just be able to reach the upper left corner if I stretch on the 6. If this were the 6+, not only would I have trouble reaching a lot of the screen, putting this case in my front pocket, I have just enough room to sit without torquing the frame of the case/phone. With the 6+, I'd probably bend the sucker within a few days.

Food for thought for people still debating.

2. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

3. Jman13 thread starter macrumors 68000

Good for you? I have short thumbs, so size is important. It's just one data point, something to consider.

4. zone23 macrumors 68000

Whats the deal you only have one hand? Sorry to hear that.

5. Jman13 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I lost it in Iraq. got a problem with it?

Ok, I didn't (though I did serve in the Iraq war), but I just wanted to provide a data point for those on the fence. I use my phone one handed a lot, and it is a concern to many. Of most importance for me (and many others) is the potential issue sitting with it in my front pocket. The 6 is going to just fit before it starts bending when sitting. I don't think the 6+ would be so lucky.

Obviously, if you want (or need) the 6+, then there's no issue there. I almost was persuaded at the last minute and stuck it out...and I'm glad I did for the above reasons. I thought it might be helpful for those who are contemplating the 6+, but originally for practical purposes preferred the size of the 6. More of a 'go with your instinct' sort of affirmation.

6. Ezra923 macrumors regular

Hey bro thanks for your service. I also ordered a 6 didn't think twice. But with a double tap the screen comes down so you don't have to reach on the 6plus

7. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Couldn't agree more. I got a Spigen case and this phone is CRAZY thin! However, I'm so glad I got the 6. I have an iPad for my tablet...I want my phone to be a phone and 4.7-5 is about as big as I'd want a phone. Wish it was 1080p, but 720p is fine.

Now...waiting until Friday! :)

8. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

Thank you for your service sir!

9. zone23 macrumors 68000

Yes thanks for your service.

I think a lot of this is people coming from a iPhone 4 or 5. They are so tiny in comparison. I already have a LG G3 so I'm used to the bigger phone. The 1/2" longer should not bother me. A bigger phone takes a little getting used too. If I was coming from a 4" screen going to a 4.7 would seem GREAT! Going from a 5.5" to a 4.7" would not be great.

10. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

My decision at the last minute was the 6.

The benefits of the big one do not outweigh my loss of ability to use the phone while carrying something in the other hand. I need to be able to type with one hand. While most of the time I use two hands for speed, there are too many instances where I only have 1 free hand. I couldn't give that up yet. Maybe in two more years I'll be ready for a big one, but I'm happy with my decision.

11. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

Hey can you post some pictures of the case,mine is coming next week.thanks

12. Deguello macrumors 6502

As far as I can tell, the 6+ is pretty much the same size as the S5, except for the bezels. I can use my wife's S5 one-handed, so I think I'll be good with the 6+ since I don't need to reach the top of the phone, just the top of the screen.

It's cool that you made the right choice. I went back and forth several times.

13. iCarabma macrumors 6502

Obsessed about which one I wanted. Printed out mock-ups and taped them to card board to get the thickness. Tried on varied pants.

The thing that surprised me is the 6 Plus seemed gigantic at first. But I started to get used to it. I have fairly large hands. The 6 seemed small even though it's bigger than the phone I've used for two years.

I decided on the Plus. Was ready to pull the trigger and then I realized my wrist was sore from spending all day playing with the mockup.

So I went with the 6.

Both good phones. Your miles may vary.

14. macduke Suspended

macduke

My hands aren't huge, but I believe maybe slightly above average? I've had people tell me I have piano fingers, whatever that means. Anyway, so I got one of those MacRumors 4.7" cases and made a cardboard mockup of the Plus. The thing is, with the 4.7" you can't quite reach the top anyway—especially the corner—so you'll still need to use that new shortcut fairly often. So for me, I figure might as well go up to the next size since it fits in my pockets and I'm able to physically hold it ok. If I don't like it I'll send it back.

I find it unfortunate that the only way to access notification center (and the new widgets) is by a swipe down from the top—which the majority of users won't be able to do with one hand. There should be a shortcut for it—similar to glances on the Apple Watch. Though I guess that one is taken by control center. Honestly though now I'm probably going to use the widgets more than control center.

15. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I do think nearly all smartphones will be 5-5.7 inches within the next two years, so I really don't think the 4.7 iPhone will remain the flagship.

Time will tell, but honestly, once you get adjusted, it really isn't going to be a problem. 4.7 and 4 inches of the iPhone 5 isn't a huge enough leap to justify a major upgrade for me.

The Galaxy Note is a very popular phone for a reason, and it's not because Android is so great — it's because it was one of the first phones to offer a gorgeous screen that really changed the definition of what a "phone" can be. Something Apple did with the original iPhone, but lost over the last few years.

16. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I think there is a place in Apple for two flagship phones. Just my opinion.

Unless the plus goes the way of the note and gets all sorts of cool features like split screen apps. However, the way it is now, I don't see enough of a difference for one to be considered "better".

It's like the mini vs the air. Same device, different resolutions and different battery life. But same device. I don't count OIS. Big deal.

17. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

Yeah good choice....worse camera, worse resolution, less ppi, worse battery life. Case closed indeed

18. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

But the note actually differentiates itself from the s5 with lots of added features. The plus doesn't.

Both will be great phone, but I'm not convinced that one is better than the other. If anything the 6 is faster because it's driving less pixels.

19. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

You're dead on about this. I agree. Both phones should be excellent and I'm very curious to try out both of them to see how they are. The Note has a lot of great features that I hope make their way to the Plus S or the Plus 7 — they've got to at some point to keep the line fresh.

I just see a lot of posting about the Plus more so than the iPhone 6. I guess it's more to be excited about, because it's truly a revolutionary Apple move. 5.5 is a big enhancement from the 3.5 to the 4, to now this.

Time will certainly tell where these products go, and I wouldn't be surprised to see both models have their place ala iPad Air and Mini.

20. Jman13 thread starter macrumors 68000

Specs don't matter if usability suffers. Same thing with photography (I'm a photographer). There are cameras that have every spec imaginable, but it doesn't matter if they don't fit the photographer ergonomically, operationally and so forth. A quality device that you can operate quickly and without thought is far more valuable than one with 'better' specs that is more cumbersome. Battery life would be big if I wasn't almost always near a charger anyway, the camera improvement is minimal (and as a photographer, I almost always have my real cameras with me anyway), and the resolution doesn't matter much to me....the ppi on my current 5S is just fine.

Anyway, here are some pics of the case. You can see it next to my case for the 5S (Incipio Frequency), as well as one showing my stubby thumbs. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. brand macrumors 601

brand

As a United States Marine I find that saying you lost your hand in Iraq and then come out and say that you didn't is in poor taste and disrespectful of those service members that did incur bodily harm and/or dismemberment while serving in any war.

22. Jman13 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'd agree if I had left it...it was actually meant to draw attention to the insensitivity of the original comment considering I had friends that did lose parts. In today's day and age, assuming everyone is intact isn't a great thing. I am sorry to offend, it wasn't meant in that manner, but rather the opposite.

23. greyhounds4 macrumors member

OP do you feel happy with the case? I already ordered the Spigen Air Cushion, but the Neo one looks awesome! Thanks for your service and for your opinion on this case.

24. Jman13 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hard to tell without the phone, but it feels to be rather high quality. The TPU section is quite thin, so it's not going to be super protective on the back, but the plastic band fits snugly and locks over the TPU part very cleanly. I think it'll probably be fine to get on, though I hope there aren't issues taking the plastic band off with the phone in it.

25. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

In the end I decided on the 4.7" also.

I played with the cardboard cutouts and really tried to convince myself I could make the bigger work, but I just couldnt bring myself to do it. Without feeling the weight of the phone to factor in, I had to do quite a bit of shifting to get even to the power button or home button.

I had 4.3" phones many moons ago before switching to Apple and I thought the size was great back then. Hopefully I dont feel I made a bad choice, but the ergonomics and one handed use in the end mean alot for me while walking, or having coffee and such.