Case cracking - who do I contact?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Abscissa, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Abscissa macrumors regular

This is solved, scroll down for pictures and maybe some useful information! lol

2. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

You can either make an appointment with your local Apple Store or call up Apple Support.

3. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking on there website and they have a thing where you explain you problem and an Apple support person calls you. I'm out of warranty and they say I'm not eligible for free phone calls. wtf, and it costs $50 for single incident reports.

They have 4 exceptions however. "I need to register Applecare" "I recently purchased OS X" "Apple software isn't working" or "My device has been repaired within the last 90 days"

Should I just pick one of those so they read it? lol

edit: I guess I'll just set up a genius bar appointment. ugg nearest apple store is 30 minutes away.

4. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

Well I made an appointment with an Apple genius over the internet. Went there this morning and there were NO questions asked. He told me the case could be replaced and I could have it back after 2 hours. I had to leave though. So tomorrow I will get it back tomorrow. God damn this dude could type fast as hell on his iPad. But the order form said new top case with keyboard, display bezel, and housing kit all at no charge. I'm glad apple recognizes their mistakes and honors it. Well at least in my opinion/experience. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

5. molala macrumors 6502a

Wow, that is a very good result (and quick too). Let us know how the parts replacement go. That sounds like you are also getting a new keyboard?

6. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

Before and after pictures will be posted once I go and get it. Yeah, it's the plastic around the screen, the plastic around the keyboard, and the keyboard itself. Or at least his what I have interpreted from the receipt. DSLR pics btw lol.

7. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

They did that for my Mid '07 MB too. New display bezel, keyboard, trackpad, and topcase :D Basically while it's open the entire laptop is new!

8. Jawwwwsh macrumors newbie

I've just bought a 2nd hand Macbook with a crack on the plastic, its the late 2007 model (pre Santa Rosa) do you think if I take it to an Apple store they would replace the casing??

9. molala macrumors 6502a

Is it the inner casing -- top case, bezel -- like the OP? If so, then yes because it is a known problem with the plastic. If the cracking is in the outer casing, that I haven't heard them replace.

10. Jawwwwsh macrumors newbie

I believe it is. It arrives tomorrow and its the first macbook I will have ever owned so super excited!!!!!
    the plastic directly next to the screen, is that classified as inner casing?

11. eman macrumors 6502a

The Apple store in Novi, MI will not replace the lower case or bezel for cracking, even with Applecare; they will replace the topcase (keyboard) for cracking.

12. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

Pictures before and after! I went into the store this morning and walked right to the genius bar (no appointment lol) and told them, gave them the reciept and they brought it out. He asked me "Did you pay Apple Care?" I said "No." and he had a receipt that was totaled to about $210. But he balled that up and threw it away lol!

They are kinda blurry...I need to clean my mirror on my camera and get a macro lens.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As said above, the keyboard, trackpad, bezel and topcase are all new. Thanks Apple. Now I'll go preorder the new Touch!

13. molala macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's the bezel. Congratulations on your first Mac!

14. molala macrumors 6502a

Good pics, glad they did a good job! But wow, $210! I know that must include labor and a hefty profit, but still this bad plastic design is costing them a lot.

Enjoy your "new" MacBook :):).

15. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do Input your serial and schedule a Genius Bar appointment.

Yes, I was like umm $210? I was informed it would have been free...If he had charged me I would have been like "Look over there" *grabbed macbook and ran*. I guess if you go Jawwwwsh (Josh?) just make sure they say free of ALL charges (get a voice recording/video. this may be a bit extreme but I'm just saying for your own safety/well being.)

But it is great now.

16. Jawwwwsh macrumors newbie

Gratz on your new bezelled MacBook!!!

My one arrived this morning in the post while I was at work, will be collecting it tomorrow morning from the post office and I think that service waranty website will be the first thing I do!!! :)

17. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm 1 year out of warranty so it's worth a shot.

18. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

My 2006 Macbook has been repaired twice for the same problem. First time it was 2 years old, 2nd time 3.5 years old. I have no Apple Care and didn't pay.

1st fix was just the keyboard/mouse panel, 2nd fix included the bezel. So looks as if the fix might work this time.

19. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Glad to hear that it was so painless! My wife has the same Macbook and her case is cracked, too - just the top case, though; we haven't noticed anything on the screen bezel.

Anyway, let me make a suggestion that'll make you like your Macbook even more - 4GB of RAM and a faster, hard drive. We put 4GB and a single platter 250GB drive in my wife's and its like a whole new machine! Money VERY WELL SPENT, imho.

20. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm thinking about buying 4GBs of Kingston ram for like $90 off newegg. I'm not sure about an HD though. Maybe a 320 or something. Any recommendations from anyone?

21. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

I'm just wondering, how do these cracks actually happen? Like are you putting a lot of force on it or something, or you just wake up one day and see it has started cracking

22. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

If you want speed (but still in a HDD price range), go for the Seagate Momentus XT... The XT model has a 4GB SSD "chip" in it (along with standard HDD parts), to speed it up.

23. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

See the ridges on the top bezel? The new plastic one doesn't have those, so that's what I'm guessing. With time of being closed and what not it just cracks.

24. waynechriss macrumors regular

Thread starter:

You got the bezzle around the screen replaced too?! Damn the Apple guy at the store told me that he could only replaced the top case around the keyboard because the plastic around the screen wasn't "covered" in their free case replacement policy. This is b.s cuz i have a crack on the top of there just like yours.

25. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Wanna know something that I LOVE? Everybody says "Seagate Momentus XT - fasted HD in the world!" (OK, maybe not that extreme, but it seems like that's EVERYONE'S recommendation.)

Here's a benchmark comparison for ya:

500GB Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS w/4GB SSD - 560

640GB Samsung HM640JI (5400rpm, BTW) - 555

Here's the kicker - the XT is $129 on sale at Newegg; I paid $59.99 for the Samsung (Its $79.99 now). That's VERY LITTLE difference for a little more than half the price AND an extra 140GB.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Research before you buy; faster rotational speed does not always equal faster hard drive.

BTW, I would NOT recommend a 7200rpm drive in ANY non-unibody Macbook. Did that once and had an annoying vibration in the keyboard. Replaced it within 2 months with a fast 5400. And that's not to mention the 30+ mins of battery time we lost because of it, too (and it was a Seagate, too, BTW).