Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
California
I've been looking for a case that's ultra-thin, floppy, has a microsuede or microfiber interior lining that also provides minimal protection.

The ideal case for me is the first generation iPad case (the black one) but with the on/off feature and sans clip on the back.

The closest case is the Smart Case offered by Apple, but many reviewers are saying that the iPad doesn't fit snugly and the cut-outs don't line up after some shaking also that the borders stretch out and pull away.

The Speck Pixelskin HD would be nice except it doesn't support the on/off feature and I don't care for the design as well as the way a tacky strip lies on the glass. Another case I have considered is the Pogo case, but I don't want to pay $120 for a case, especially when I'm looking for something that provides minimal protection.

If you can think of a folio case that is ultra-thin, has a soft lining, supports the on/off feature, can stand and is preferably soft, please let me know.

A case I'm considering now is the Incipio LGND but I would prefer something that doesn't have a hard shell backing.

Thank you.

Edit: I prefer something that isn't leather to minimize thickness.

Last edited:

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
The Speck Pixelskin HD would be nice except it doesn't support the on/off feature and I don't care for the design as well as the way a tacky strip lies on the glass.

The Pixelskin for the new iPad does support auto wake and does not use the tacky strip for closure. You are describing the version for the iPad 2. The new one however hasn't received the best reviews.

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
I have the SmartCase for my iPad3 and it fits and works just fine. I think the complaints you are seeing are for the iPad2. It is a little thinner, and probably fits more loosely in the SmartCase.

DashSatan

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
I'm using the smart cover with an incase magnetic snap. Honestly I can't see my self buying another case or combo for my iPad ever again. The incase snap feels perfect. Fits snug, magnet to hold smart case in place, the material is soft to the touch and doesn't show scratches easily.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
California
I'm hearing a mix of things about the Smart Case, but enough negative to make me a bit wary.

I didn't know there was a new Pixelskin. I'll check it out.

Edit: I looked at the Pixelskin HD, I'm still not too fond of the design and material.

Anything very similar to the Smart Case available?

Last edited:

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I just want to add that the Smart Case is also loose on the iPad 3rd gen, at least for most people, so I am not sure if the other poster was just lucky or what. I have tried two of them on both our iPad 2 and 3rd gen. Both loose and one actually started coming apart at the inner hinge area (polyurethane separated from the microfiber. Before it started doing that, I even cut a piece of felt precisely to fit under the iPad in the case to make it more snug. It worked for about a week and somehow started getting loose again. It was not the case for me, unfortunately. I have since moved back to the Smart Cover and am awaiting two backshells to try with it. Be careful with this combo too, as it is what I was using before the SmartCase and I wound up with to scratches where the hinges meet the iPad. What happened was the SwitchEasy CoverBuddy I was using had a cutout that was too close to the edges if the SmartCover's hinge and made it grind against the iPad a little whenever the Smart Cover moved.

As for your question, I have seen some cheap cases on eBay that look exactly like the old iPad case. I can't say they work well, however. They are usually direct from Asia and cheap. Just try browsing eBay.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
After reading all the negative and positive reviews around here I decided about an hour ago to go down to my local apple store (walking distance from my job) and get one as its perfect for what I need out of a case for my ipad3.

Here's what I did, I wanted dark grey (it looks so nice on black to me) they had 12 on the hanger. I explained all the fitment issues that many are having, the apple guy actually was already aware. So he went and grabbed like three so that we can test each one for fitment, turns out that the very first one was a perfect snug fit. I recommend that if you have an apple store near you and you want the smart case try and test some out before you purchase..

I am a happy camper, I really really like this case..I just really hope it holds up over time, we'll see I guess.

I also found that after I carefully but firmly compressed the triangle a few good times my ipad isn't so vertical in the video position and as a result isn't so topsy turby..Hey I figure the thing is new and stiff it needs to be broken in...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.