Case for 4S that softens back edges and has lay flat (screen side down) design?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by NuMystic, Oct 17, 2011.

1. NuMystic, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

NuMystic macrumors member

NuMystic

Just upgraded from the 3GS to the 4S and HATE the way the 90 degree angles on the back feel in the hand.

This phone is an ergonomic nightmare. If I can't find a case that remedies the issue I'll return this and wait for the iPhone 5 redesign.

So to avoid that I was hoping to tap the collective wisdom here and get case recommendations that meet the following criteria:

- Significantly rounded back edges where it rests in your hand.

- Matte silicone, polycarb, TPU or similar feeling material that isn't a lint magnet. Used a case crown slider on the 3GS and loved it. Not married to the slider design but will not consider anything in hard or shiny plastic which I find too prone to visible scuffs and cracking. I'm careful with the phone but it inevitably will get dropped a few times. (maybe 5 drops in 2.5 years for my 3GS and the CaseCrown slider was a champ)

- Must have enough room at the docking port to allow for older style sync/charging cables to attach.

- Full back (no bumper style) and a raised front edge lay-flat (screen side down) design.

- Easy to press buttons. Whether it's a cutout or covered button design they need to be responsive. Even my cheap apple bumper clone provides this, so if I'm going to pay more I expect a case to provide the same ease of use.

- Affordable. My former CaseCrown slider was flawless for it's functionality and cost only $12. I realize I'm not likely to be so lucky this time around but will not spend more than $40 tops.

I don't use a screen protector so I'm not at all concerned with cases that interfere with them. (bubbling etc)

Cases I've already tried:

CaseCrown Slash Glider - Fantastic case for the price but horrible sleep/wake cut out. (deeply recessed with sharp edges that hurt finger to press)

Incipio NGP - Functional but no rounding of back edges and an annoying mold seam around the entire outer edge.

Apple official bumper (identical clones only $2 on amazon!) - surprisingly not terrible apart from the recessed back which I also don't find particularly comfy. Deal breaker though is the narrow dock port which doesn't have room to allow my 3rd party connection to use with my car stereo.

If anyone has come across any cases that fit all of the above, I will be eternally grateful for your insights and thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

2. NuMystic thread starter macrumors member

NuMystic

Nothing out there that fits all the criteria?

If that's really so, I'd even consider going back to the bumper style if there is one that has a 30-pin dock opening large enough to accommodate 3rd party connectors.

Anyone… pretty please?

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Look at the Incase Snap if you want the raised lip in the front, Incipio Feather if you don't need it.

4. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

5. NuMystic thread starter macrumors member

NuMystic

Anyone know if the Speck PixelSkin HD has enough clearance in the dock cutout to allow third party cables? (exactly the same size as the old Apple sync cable before they made it smaller)

6. minimo3 macrumors regular

I too moved from a 3GS to 4S and find the hard edge extremely uncomfortable. I've tried:

-iSkin Claro (hard edge, hard to press sleep button)
    -Amazon Basics (very sharp edge)
    -Chivel bumper with metal buttons (nice rounded edge and easy to press button, but don't like recessed back and would like rear protection)
    -Smoke TPU case from ebay (great beveled edge, but impossible to press suspend button)

Is there anything out there that provides a nice rounded edge and has easy to press buttons without being too thick?

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Magpul Field Case. I have the same gripe about the shape edges, but this case is perfect, IMO. Whatever material they use feels great in the hand, it has the lay-on-the-table design, and if you did decide to use a screen protector it won't interfere with one.

It's also insanely cheap at about $10. The buttons on some can be slightly firm, but this will either remedy itself over the course of use, or you can do the easy mod of using a razor blade to cut along the long edges of the buttons (this makes them MUCH more responsive and you can't see the cuts at all).

That would be my suggestion.

8. Black Dawg Down macrumors member

If you want really really rounded edges, look at the SGP cases. Very comfortable, but don't buy anything other than the Neo Hybrid series.

The curved design can introduce some problems with the models which don't have silicone inside. Being curved inside and outside, when you hold the phone and press the sides the case will sooner or later cracks, creaks, and moves.

9. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

10. minimo3 macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions. The Magpul looks good. For $9.95 can't go too wrong. I'll go try out the slider in the store. Its a pity there are no stores with a wide array of cases to try out. I like to test them out before buying. Its hard to tell from just a picture on a website.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Yes it does allow for 3rd party cables.