case for internal MBP harddrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pit29, Mar 3, 2009.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi all,

I'm about to upgrade my MBP with a larger harddrive. I am wondering whether I could then use the old internal harddisk as an external drive? Does anybody know what case should I get? Is it possible to use it via FireWire (preferred) or USB?

I appreciate your comments. Extra points if you can provide links where I can buy this stuff online...

Thanks!
    Pit

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

You can put your old internal into an enclosure and use it as an external :). There are firewire and USB enclosures out there. You might want something like this, or these.

3. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for... Didn't expect that it would be that easy, and that you could put it into those standard cases...

4. hummer28 macrumors member

This is an excellent product (link below). I purchased this and am loving it. It has pretty much every connection you can ask for and comes with an assortment of cables. Make sure you are looking at the SATA version and not the PATA version. This link takes you to the exact one that I use and that you would need for a 2.5" drive.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MSTG800U2K/

I also have this unit which essentially allows you to do the same thing. However, most people like to have their hard drives physically docked in an enclosure as it also aids in storage. This product is awesome and also gives you the flexibility of utilizing 2.5" or 3.5" SATA I/II hard drives.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/FWU2ES2HDK/