Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Does anyone know of a case that holds the first gen Apple Pencil? I didn’t want to buy a second Apple Pencil just so it fits in the case but of course apple made the second gen pencil shorter. Lol!

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Belkin makes a pencil case that is also a stand and holds all the extra bits for the Apple Pencil.

The first gen Apple Pencil doesn’t work with the iPad Pro 11”.
The second gen pencil only works with the 2018 iPad Pros at this time.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Belkin makes a pencil case that is also a stand and holds all the extra bits for the Apple Pencil.

The first gen Apple Pencil doesn’t work with the iPad Pro 11”.
The second gen pencil only works with the 2018 iPad Pros at this time.

Well that is a shame. I asked at the apple store and they said the old pencil would work with the new iPad. Thanks!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Well that is a shame. I asked at the apple store and they said the old pencil would work with the new iPad. Thanks!
But that the 1st gen Apple Pencil wouldn’t connect to the 11inch since the iPad Pro uses usb-c. My understanding with the Apple Pencil 1st gen is that you pair it by plugging it in to the lightning port of that iPad? Unless there is a way to pair it without plugging it in?

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
They are correct. It works with the new iPad, it doesn’t work with the 3rd gen iPad Pro. There is no way to pair the first gen pencil with the 3rd gen iPad Pro.

Reactions: Breezygirl

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
They are correct. It works with the new iPad, it doesn’t work with the 3rd gen iPad Pro. There is no way to pair the first gen pencil with the 3rd gen iPad Pro.

I should have been more clear. They said it would work with the iPad Pro 11 I bought from them yesterday.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I should have been more clear. They said it would work with the iPad Pro 11 I bought from them yesterday.
It won’t, you need the 2nd gen Pencil for the iPad Pro 11. The iPad Pro 11 and new 12.9 is USB-C where the 1st gen Pencil is lightening and you need the Lightening port to pair the pencil to an iPad.

The 2nd gen Pencil is magnetic which only works with the current iPad Pros and pairs once attached to the side of the iPad.

Reactions: Breezygirl

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
It won’t, you need the 2nd gen Pencil for the iPad Pro 11. The iPad Pro 11 and new 12.9 is USB-C where the 1st gen Pencil is lightening and you need the Lightening port to pair the pencil to an iPad.

The 2nd gen Pencil is magnetic which only works with the current iPad Pros and pairs once attached to the side of the iPad.
I was told this as well when I bought my 11” Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.