Case for new MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ladytonya, Oct 15, 2008.

1. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Will old cases work with the new MBP? It new one is thinner, so I would think the old cases would be too big. Of course, they're not much thinner so maybe not. I'm not looking for a sleeve, just a good quality messenger bag that will protect my shiny soon-to-be new toy. I've looked at the Incase and Crumpler bags, but there are others that look nice too. I'm just not sure.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Cases and Sleeves are different.

A case is something like the Incase Hardshell or the Speck version. Those will not work, they attach to the case of the notebook and have openings for ports, the Superdrive, Battery and things like that. So even if they did fit they would not give you access to a lot of your computer.

Sleeves are softer (usually neoprene) zippered covers that will protect it in a bag. Like the Incase Sleeve or the Booq Vyper. These will probably work - they are not made for just one notebook usually and are made to stretch out over time depending on the computer and what not. To give you some idea I had originally just the Incase Sleeve for my MacBook Pro, I then purchased the Hard Shell when it came out almost 8 months later and the notebook with the Hard Shell on will fit in my case.

Also, remember that the computer is not that much thinner so it should definitely fit in every sleeve or bag. Also, thinner just means a little bit looser not that it wouldn't fit. Numerous logical practical solutions would be applicable to solving this problem if you were really that concerned with it.

3. ladytonya thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, I thought I was asking a legitimate question, you didn't have to get so snarky! "Numerous logical practical solutions"? Last time I checked, this was a thread for asking for buying tips and advice. Excuse me for asking for a little advice! WTF?

4. dougnewman macrumors 6502

0.05" of thickness will make no perceptible difference.

I'd be more worried about the slightly increased width and depth of the case.

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Better get used to it sister, it's more widespread than you might think :rolleyes:

If it's any consolation, 85% of people on this site are probably not getting laid.

6. ladytonya thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've been on bulletin boards long enough to know there are lots of trolls out there, but seriously. Given the title "Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion" I would think this would be a safe place to, oh, I don't know, ask for some advice? Maybe a buying tip? Excuse the hedoublehockeysticks out of me if I was wrong about that!

Anyway, thank you for the information. I am ordering off apple.com unless I decide to drive 2 hours to my nearest store. I don't want to get a bag and have it not fit properly.

7. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I like your diction!

Before you buy a case off the website, you may want to wait a week or two. Currently, there are no sleeves specifically designed for the dimensions of the new MBP, so it may be a very tight fit. I would expect that Apple would update their accessories very soon. If anything, go to a store and actually try one out (but don't drive two hours to do it ;)).

8. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Oh, that's right ... I hadn't thought of that when purchasing my Incase neoprene sleeve.

Oh well, I'll see if it fits when it gets here (November 4th)

9. stewartlittle macrumors regular

I would check out www.booqbags.com . They already have a new sleeve for the new macbooks, plus you can use the bag finder and it has the new pro and macbook as an option for what it fits in. Check it out. Amazing bags too.

10. ladytonya thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, Stewart! I've bought from there before. I forgot about that web site, I'll definitely have to check them out. I think I will look locally and see what I find here, too. If I can "try on" some bags, then I know I won't buy something that doesn't fit.

Thank you, Nope7308! I'm actually not going to be getting my computer for another few weeks. I'm sure new carrying options will pop up all over the place by then. Probably better to wait, anyway, especially if I'm going to get a protective sleeve.

I find it quite interesting that the first responder hasn't been back. Guess he couldn't handle an intelligent response to his drivel!

11. snake101st macrumors regular

I was wondering about when the incase case will be updated, that will probably still be the best option. But yeah, as said, the cases wont fit the new ones, but sleeves most likely will (the one built in to my bbp messenger bag fits fine).

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't think I was being snarky, nor did I intend on being snarky. However, explaining how some of the manufacturers, particularly Incase divide their products are important because, one not knowing very much could read "all Incase Cases should fit both the new and old MacBook Pro's" is only somewhat true. And the last part was there because there are people that would be concerned with the minute difference in thickness and want one specifically designed for the new MacBook Pro.

Excuse me? I'm sorry I'm not on the boards constantly, but give me a break. First of all be careful about "he", you have no clue what gender I might be. Secondly, you're complaint seems a little unwarranted. I gave what most considered was a thorough explanation based on real experience of the difference (incase you were asking about the Hard Shell) and gave you suggestions that were echoed by other posters. Not a good start to your days at this forum if you are attacking other members within your first 25 post.

13. ladytonya thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't exactly feel like any of my posts were attacking. Other people who have posted here and in response to any other question or comment I have made in this forum have been very police. I only responded to what I felt was an attack against me, like I was an ignoramus for even asking the question. I've always been told that the only stupid question is the one that is never asked. Believe me, I know the difference between a sleeve and a case, that had nothing to do with my question. I wanted to see how much of a size difference there was between the previous generation and new MBPs, and many other kind people have answered that question and made other reasonable suggestions. At this point, I'm waiting to see what the manufacturers start coming out with to fit the new models before I buy anything.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...so the whole "wonder where the other guy went?" that was just accidental. I agree you asked a question people wanted to know the answer to and you continue to ask questions that people want to know answers to. I would guess it will take Incase about two to three months before they make the Hard Shell, this is complete guess after Gen. 1 came nearly two years after the MacBook Pro and was massively delayed. I am happy to answer questions that are asked and I will respond to direct attacks. But have some respect and at least take some responsibility for what you said after it seemed like you challenged me to respond.

15. ladytonya thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, the whole wonder where the other guy went came from my past experience on other forums where users who have been around for a long time just have fun going around trolling on newbie's posts. Obviously that's not what you were doing so I was wrong.

16. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I emailed InCase and got an answer...

InCase is awesome about communicating. I emailed them right after I ordered my MB. They said they were sorry but they have no information on when the new cases will be out. I've used them on two other laptops I've had and love them (hard shell case). I'll be sweating getting it scratched. My other two laptops stayed brand new looking.

17. ladytonya thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, that's good to know from incase. I'm torn on the whole hard case issue. I like the looks of them plain, and these are supposed to be super duper sturdy construction aluminum indestructible notebooks. Well, okay, not indestructible, that would have to be titanium, but from the construction vides Ives did it seems like they thing these things are pretty sturdy.

18. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I had a MBP for awhile. It would scratch if it wasn't protected and dent! I very curious about the construction... to see if it's sturdier. I had the MBP in a bag behind the driver's seat on a trip once. We changed drivers and my husband hit the auto seat button and really put pressure on the bag. After traveling for an hour or so, I realized what happened and went nuts. It bent the frame of the bottom case a teeny bit. Actually kind of torqued it or twisted it. Everything worked fine. It went in for a battery issue and Apple put a new case on the bottom for free. You'd never know anything had happened. I just wonder if this new "unibody" thing is stronger than the old design... but I'm still scared of the scratches... aluminum is aluminum.

19. snake101st macrumors regular

Thanks for the info about the incase updated cases, I was actually about to email them. Id have to say its better safe than sorry though, theres no telling when a dent will actually harm an internal component instead of just being an "oh no, it looks ugly" thing. Also scratches, if the finish on these MBP's is the same as the old ones, will occur.

20. snake101st macrumors regular

Sweet, cant wait. Hopefully they keep the nice curves of them in tact, arent too thick, dont restrict the tilt angle, and possibly make them more transparent. Id be sold (as if I wasnt already... the incase cases are far superior to speck's).

21. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Had the Speck case for a bit on my old MBP... it scratched the aluminum.

22. ladytonya thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome, thanks for the link! Also thanks for the info on Speck. I've often wondered about whether the notebook would be scratched by a hard cover. Right now, our only laptop is an old Dell and it is beat up something fierce but still works like a charm, well as much as any Windows PC really works. I'll have to keep reading about the new aluminum unibody to see how tough they are. Heck, at the rate my husband's school is going, the next generation is going to be out by the time we get the money to buy this thing.