Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Does anyone think they can make the Apple Watch Box into a case? If not, what is, a quality case, at an affordable price?

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Does anyone think they can make the Apple Watch Box into a case? If not, what is, a quality case, at an affordable price?

It is possible by cutting the box and taping or gluing it a certain way. There just needs to be a YouTube video for a how to.

akonikui

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 6.00.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 6.00.04 PM.png
    106 KB · Views: 254

akonikui

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007

He's incorrect. I'm pretty sure this was covered in another thread.

I also had an appointment to try on the edition watches yesterday in SF and got to see the box (because I was planning on making a case from my SS box too). It's definitely a lightning port.

Back on topic though:
If I'm going to make the box into a case, I'll have a cutout on the back for a female USB port. Maybe mini-usb since cables are readily available. Lightning would be cool though, and I'd only have to travel with one charger for my phone and watch.
If I really want to go all out, I'll wet mold some leather to the shape of the box and redo the felt on the inside.

Last edited:

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I agree it makes more sense to be lightning, but with Apple's recent endeavor into USB-C it's possible. Also, the dude explaining the product on youtube was an apple employee...

Sure looks like a lightning port to me
usb-c has a male connector inside the port

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 229

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Sure looks like a lightning port to me
usb-c has a male connector inside the port

Makes more sense.

I stand corrected. Internet: 1 Me: 0

In other news, has anyone actually seen the box for the sport, aside from the suspicious leaked pictures? How do we even know it would be worth modding?

allenshi

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Back on topic though:
If I'm going to make the box into a case, I'll have a cutout on the back for a female USB port. Maybe mini-usb since cables are readily available. Lightning would be cool though, and I'd only have to travel with one charger for my phone and watch.
If I really want to go all out, I'll wet mold some leather to the shape of the box and redo the felt on the inside.

Do you think the felt portion of the Watch box is remove able?

My Idea of the box is to cut a small hole on the felt behind for the watch and feed the cable through that hole and set the puck behind the dent.
Continue feeding the cable to the back of the box where i'll cut a little hole to go out to the wall. the box can double as cable management system since the cable looks pretty long from the unboxing videos.

akonikui

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah, the box is too cool. I'm not going to drill into it. Save myself a lot of trouble.

akonikui

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
either one... not sure why people are scared to cut / modify a shipping/package box.

Resell value. Also, I don't think the SS box was intended just for shipping. It's WAY too heavy. I think Apple intended that to be the "charging stand" for most people. I only wish it had gotten the Edition treatment with the integrated charger. Who do they think they're trying to up-sell with that?

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015

At that point I'd rather just run the cable completely from behind the watch altogether, running the cable through the slit just makes it a hassle to put the watch on and off.

But at that point one starts to realise... this is just the watch sitting on its charger. The box is just unnecessary extra clutter for that task, visually and otherwise :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.