Case: Incipio Feather Ultralight Hard Shell vs STM Grip Hardshell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by glitch44, Feb 19, 2014.

1. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I'm currently deciding between the following two cases for my Macbook Air:

STM Grip Hardshell Minimalist Case
    [​IMG]

Incipio Feather Ultralight Hard Shell
    [​IMG]

Any experiences/opinions?

2. cjgonzales1900 macrumors regular

I wouldn't get a case at all I have had them in the past for all my unibody MacBooks including the air and over time you will see little wear marks from dust getting in between the case and the macbook no matter how many times you clean it it always happens to me and many others. I would get a skin or zagg invisible shield and a sleeve. best combo.

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Well I'll disagree. I have a Moshi iGlaze on my Air, and have cases on all my previous Macbooks, and with a regular cleaning i never saw dings, scratches or dents. So not everyone faces this issue, some people have more of a tidy lifestyle than others, so no, not everyone faces this issue.

As for the OP, get the Moshi iGlaze, it is a great case, there's a nice speck one too!

4. nariza7 macrumors member

I originally used the STM grip hardshell for my 11 inch mac air, and what I liked was that it had the inside lining of suede or w/e which helps with the dust scratching issue(supposedly). I did like it at first, but then it felt somewhat bulky(after like 6 months). The lid part of the case would be heavy, so at certain degrees, the lid would either fully open up or close. What I mean by that is if you have your mac air at an angle like 110 degrees or so, the lid would tilt back as far as it can because of the weight. If you have it at a 20 or 30 degree angle, it will fully close. Not too bad of an issue, but it does get annoying at times. Taking it off is a pain too. I feel like I will chip my mac air if I take the case off too much.

After 6 months, I've decided to just get a sleeve and use it naked. It feels much slicker without a case, and I can finally see the lit up apple logo in the back (which is fun to add a decal to). I'm not sure if overheating was an issue with the case, but I feel better without it now. I normally would put the sleeve under the mac to protect it from the surface of the table.

I'm normally very protective of my hardware(buying cases for it and all that), but now I'm fine with just a sleeve. It's up to personal preference in the end I think. I just thought the hard case wouldnt really protect much from a small drop(not that it happens much). I also just really didnt like taking it off.

5. cjgonzales1900 macrumors regular

I am way to busy running my business to clean my macbook every other day or so on. If you plan on cleaning your macbook all the time than yes you won't have any problems with the things you said in your post. but I'm sure not everyone does this and was trying to let the OP know this about the cases. tidy life style you mean OCD lol Dust is everywhere and gets in-between the macbook and case all the time.