Case-Mate.com Signature Leather Case for iPhone in Phantom Black

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Malamutt, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Malamutt macrumors regular

So I bought the Case-Mate.com Signature Leather Case for iPhone in Phantom Black.

Love the design. Loved the protection. What I didn't love is after owning my first one for about 3 weeks the belt clip holder disconnected from the case. I was fortunate enough to have had it happen in my hand.

Given I bought it at the AT&T store I figured take it back and replace it. AT&T did the replacement no problem.

40 days later and guess what! Same exact problem. Given I can't take it back to AT&T I contacted Case-Mate.

Response:

"The AT&T store still may cooperate with a return or an exchange.* If not, you can send the case to the address below with a proof of purchase and I can send you a replacement case.*

I apologize for any inconvenience."

While that sounds great that means that while I send them my case and wait for the replacement my iPhone sits naked on the counter freezing it's battery off.

How about I take a picture of the case and the receipt next to it. Or something besides leaving my iPhone to fend for itself in my pocket.... God only knows what is going on in my pockets.

Just a heads up if your looking for a case. The Case-Mate Leather case is great. You just have to remember to buy more then 1.

:apple:Malamutt

2. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

I picked up the Casemate a few weeks ago, and I have the Crystal screen protector on as well. I think it is perfect for my needs. The big difference is that I don't use the belt clip at all (it isn't screwed on to the case). I keep the whole thing in my front pants pocket. This works put fine for me - especially since I have to carry a Blackberry for work. I don't need two devices on my belt!!

Good luck with the return.

--DotComCTO

...from my iPhone

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I am with DotComCTO; wonderful case! It has a great executive-feel without adding a lot of bulk to the iPhone. Also have the Power Support Crystal Shield for screen protection. The Shield took the brute of a drop and I replaced it for a good as new look. I've kept the belt-clip stowed in the glove box since June 30.

4. plasmo macrumors member

ya, i think the Case-Mate is the one I will be getting.

Is the belt-clip problem your only "negative" for this case?
    I also (like the above poster) don't clip anything on my belt...and rather keep it in my pocket.

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I don't intend for this to sound mean, but it's a $35 case...I wouldn't expect amazing quality on it.

Doesn't mean it should break either, but in my experience you do tend to get what you pay for.

I splurged a little and spent $100 on a Strada case from Orbino. It is a work of art and a joy to have on my iPhone.

I would suggest you look into one.

The Strada comes with a screen protector, but I paired my case with a Power Support Crystal Film and it works great.

Total cost: About $115 for the case and films.

Experience: Complete bliss.

6. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

just because its 35 bucks doesn't mean its crap, $99 for a case is ridiculous and the thing looks ugly. The price is based on demand, marketability, etc. The iPhone is a wanted item right now and so people are looking to capitalize on that. These things are made by manufacturers for cents or only a few bucks. A good example is the invisibleshield and the BSE, BSE is the same material, its 9.99 for a full coverage film and that includes shipping while invisibleshield is $25, they are made out of the same material and both have excellent customer service.

7. Bookmonke macrumors newbie

My case-mate had the top edge half way cover the earpiece and was told by the factory that was how they all are. Well the picture on the site wasn't like that, can post pics if needed, but returned it.

8. Malamutt thread starter macrumors regular

Appreciate the info on the Strada case... not exactly the style I was looking for.

As for any case you buy you would expect it to last longer then 21 or 40 days. The issue is how the cast-mate case was designed. Versus putting reinforcement in the case to connect the belt clip in they used glue. It really is a nice case when the belt clip doesn't come off of it!

:apple: Malamutt

9. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

To each his own, bottom line is you get what you pay for.

a $99 case for a $600 phone is hardly a ridiculous purchase. Quality materials and quality handmade worksmanship cost money.

The glue is a perfect example of that. The Strada, for example, has a hand stiched leather "pouch" where the palladium clip slips in and is then held in place with an attractive thumb screw.

How many times would your iPhone have to slip off your belt because glue failed before that $99 seems pretty cheap for higher quality?

10. Lenow macrumors regular

Case-Mate Should Be ReDesigned

I loved my CAse-Mate signature, until the belt clip popped off, but outside my ATT warranty. They wouldn't replace it and Case-Mate won't refund my money. The product is defective because of the design....the glued belt clip. They know it is a huge problem, and are quietly working on a re-design, but in the meantime, they should refund anyone's purchase, not just replace it with a another defective product so the case falls off your belt and your precious iphone hits the ground. I'm sensing a great class action lawsuit here. Many people out a small amount of money.....the attorneys' fees will be worth the effort becauses of the company's failure to act in a responsible manner to consumers.

11. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I, personally, have had no problems with the Case Mate holster. I have the flip case / holster combo. Not sure about the clip because I don't need or use it. However, if my iPhone dropped off my holster/clip I'd know it. Not sure how anyone could not feel the iPhone on their waist and not miss it's absence if it fell off.

12. Malamutt thread starter macrumors regular

So if your iPhone was on your holster/clip and fell off while you were moving and it hit the ground you wouldn't be upset? I mean sure you felt it fall but now your iPhone could be damaged? The point was that the clip breaks you don't get to choice of when it actually happens! :)

the case-mate case is a great looking case but the fact remains that if you bought it to use the belt clip then your in for a let down. It's not if it will break its more like when it will break and what happens to the iPhone in it.

:apple:Malamutt

13. adamjohn98 macrumors member

I had the same earpiece problem with mine too. That top edge would muffle the sound to about half of what it should have been (at least in my experience). I also returned mine.

14. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

NOPE, it's called a c-o-n-s-e-q-u-e-n-c-e . . . . life is full of them :D