Case-mate smooth case review with pics

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dread, Jun 28, 2009.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

I recently purchased the case-mate smooth case for my new 3gs http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-3G-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-3G--3GS-Smooth-Case.asp. I paid $22 and change shipped to my door using discount code fathersday09. Normally the case is $29.99.
    So far I am very pleased with the look and feel of the case. I compared this with the incase slider that is made of a similar feeling material and the case-mate is definately slimmer and sleeker. The inside of the case-mate case has the same texture as the outside, which may prevent the scratching that is typical of the incase sliders. It feels like rubber but is not sticky. So far it is holding up well, never looks dirty and does not collects lint. I didn't even wipe the case off before taking the included pics and it still looks pretty clean. So far I removed it 5 times and no scratches yet. The case should offer sufficient shock protection in a fall. However, it is definately not as solid as the incase. The plastic is more flexible and probably not as thick as the incase.
    The nicest feature of this case is it can be slid on the phone without causing damage or peeling of screen protectors, which is a typically problem with other sliders. That being said the screen protector that was included is garbage. For some reason when under floresant lights the screen protector has rainbow colored finger print patterns. This may be caused by the 3gs coating so I would not suggest using the included screen protector with the 3gs. I just purchased the power support crystal film set and those look perfect under floresant light and were easier to apply. The power support screen protector is on my phone in the pics.

There are a few other concerns I had with this case.
    1) the top of the case is more exposed than the incase slider leaving the sim card area exposed along with the power button and head phone jack. This could be a point of weakness in a fall.
    2) The case is very difficult to remove, especially the bottom half, which is the part that is most likely to be removed for docking. I found that I have to pull pretty hard on the top half first and then get to the bottom half off. The case is breaking in and has become easier to take in and out, but the bottom half is still too tight.

In summary I recommend this case to anyone who wants a slider and screen protector. Just count on buying a screen protector from the apple store or not using your phone under floresant lights.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

nice review

yeah i hate the top open like that. griffin makes there cases like that.

looks like a too much lay on the table, bulky innocase II :D

3. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its actually less bulky than the incase slider, but the top lay on the table part extends unnecessarily far.

4. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just wanted to give an update on this case
    I have been using it for several months now and it has yet to leave a scratch on the chrome bezel or the back of the iphone. Additionally the case is holding up well and looks nearly as good as the day I bought it. There are 2 dots that are visible in certain light that are shiny due to some of the rubberized coating chipping off. However, it looks much better than my incase slider did after a much shorter time span.

5. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a