Case mod for keyboard dock

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by djohnson63, Apr 9, 2010.

1. djohnson63 macrumors newbie

I love the Apple case but got tired of taking it out just to dock it on the keyboard dock so I made a little modification and I am sure the purist will hate this but it works for me. :cool:

Attached Files:

2. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

How is that working out for you? I wanted to get the dock, but when I got to the store, I got the case instead. I wasn't to thrilled about the case at first. It seems quite unstable when it is standing in landscape mode. So i put it back it in the box for s few days, then gave it another try. It's beginning to grow on me, but i still dont know if it was worth the 40 bucks. If you didn't already have the case and dock, would you bother getting the case? I'm really thinking about returning the case for a sleeve and dock.

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I had the same issue. However just trimming the bottom put too much pressure on the dock connector for me to be comfortable with.

After examining the case and dock, it seemed that by trimming away a section of the case that comes into contact with the dock's backplate should allow the iPad to dock with the keyboard while keeping the case on.

I removed the iPad from the case. Using a sharpie marker, marked the outline where the cuts were to be made. I took a cutting mat, xacto knife, and steel ruler and carefully cut along the line using the ruler as a guide, making sure to ease up on the pressure when the blade crossed the rigid frame.

Figure 1. View of the section removed while retaining the rigid frame.
    [​IMG]

The composition of the case is a rubberized vinyl type material, resulting in a very clean cut edge with no danger of fraying.

Figure 2. view of the back.
    [​IMG]

The material was carefully cut away, ensuring not do disturb the rigid frame. I then inserted the iPad into the case.

Figure 3. iPad in the case.
    [​IMG]

Figure 4. iPad in the case docked in the keyboard
    [​IMG]

The case cover can fold back behind the dock backplate and the angle of the iPad holds the cover in place. Of course I'd rather not have a rectangular hole in the back of the case, but I'm not going to risk a hand slipping as I attempt to remove the iPad from the case flinging the iPad across the room.

So until there is a comparable case that will work with the dock, this will have to do. I like the keyboard too much to reduce its usage because of the hassle of removing it from the case.

Hope this helps somebody.

4. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I don't see the need to trim the back of the iPad at all--just the bottom. How will it really put any extra pressure on the dock? Seems better to protect the back of your iPad.

As for me, I'm looking into cutting just some of the extra "fluff" from the seam. If I can get that down while still being connected, then I think that would be the winner. Still completely protected and docking. I'll post back if I decide to do it. Has anyone else just removed the seam with good results? I'm going to do some testing first.

5. djohnson63 thread starter macrumors newbie

It works great! I also love the dock, it works awesome and with the battery life to the ipad i don't even have it plugged into power.....at least not yet. I charge overnight and have all the power i need for the day.

6. djohnson63 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was very concerned of that as well, however, there is a small strip of material on the back of the case(inside) and if you remove that it fits perfect and snug with no additional pressure on the connector.

7. djohnson63 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try to just remove the seam and it did not work. The Ipad has to sit all the way to the metal for it to work properly on the dock so you will find that you need to remove all the material. I used and exacto knife and was very careful on my cuts. I then sealed it by burning carefully the edges and it looks very nice IMHO and works perfectly. And I only had to make the opening wider on the bottom and not mess with the back at all.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I trimmed it in incremental steps. First just removing the extra from the trim. But the thickness of what remained was too much to seat the iPad fully on the connector.

Then I trimmed away the same amount as the OP did. But the thickness of the case caused the iPad be inserted at a different angle than it was designed to be.

I bought the case primarily to primarily protect the screen, offer an angle for typing, and a kickstand for viewing. Protection the aluminum back is nice, but not that important to me. I'd rather run the risk of some scuffs on the aluminum (which are only cosmetic) than to risk premature wear on the dock connector.

Obviously, do what you feel is best for you. The OP's approach works for him. My approach works for me. At the very least we've pioneered a few approaches that will help others, like you, to decide which is better for you. We simply "took one for the team". :)

9. gt1948 macrumors regular

gt1948

could u post pics?

10. Kenal0 macrumors regular

Very nice job. I am on my way to find my exacto knife now!!

Kenal0

11. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Edit: I trimmed it up a little nicer and burned the edges and it looks quite a bit better now, enough that I probably won't go rebuy the Apple case.

Original post by me:

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Thanks for posting all the above. Great food for thought. Now, if I can just find an Apple store with the case in stock... :)

BTW, anyone looked into modifying the dock? I'd rather maintain the aesthetic and structural integrity of the case - since that will be travelling everywhere with me. But I don't mind modding the dock.

Thoughts?

13. Kenal0 macrumors regular

I modded my case and it did not affect the integrity of the case at all. The only
    spot that is compromised is the small opening that was cut out. I have the standalone dock, not the keyboard dock and it works great.

Kenal0

14. djohnson63 thread starter macrumors newbie

I pulled the dock apart to see if the mod could be done to the dock itself and found no clean way to modify it. The curved plastic that supports directly behind the iPad when docked is hollow and would need some bondo work to make it look clean. Modifying the case was my only choice after looking at all options. IMHO I think it works great is hardly a noticeable modification.

15. bluehaze013 macrumors 6502

That's a good thing! These cases are quite hard to find anymore. If you do manage to find some buy em all and put them on ebay they are going for as much as 80 bucks on there lol

16. djohnson63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I did not take pictures of that process :(

It's just a glued on extra piece of material to help the back side of the original opening be more ridged. It can simply just be pulled off.

Before I burnt lightly the trimmed edges I could see a use to make it more ridged, however, after lightly burning the edges to clean it up it actually shrunk the material just slightly and it fits like a glove!

17. rmansfield macrumors newbie

rmansfield

I could swear I saw an iPad third party case the other day in which the bottom flipped up to accommodate the keyboard dock. But I can't remember who made it or where I saw it. Does anyone have any idea?