Case / No case what the fuss about?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JohnDoyle, Nov 22, 2012.

1. JohnDoyle macrumors newbie

Hi Forum,

I just got a new iPhone 5 and automatically wanted to buy a case, but it is necessary? Observing some of the horrific cases made for 50 Cent in China to insane aluminum bumpers that cost $$$ and kill the signal.

Why du you guys buy cases for protection, for styling or is it just a habit?

Your answers are appreciated.
    John

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

3. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Cases kill the great design of the phone. That's why I don't use one. Just a screen protector.

4. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Its definitley not nescesarry.

It all depends how caring you are for your phone. A sleeve will do.

Its also a matter of taste. If you do not like the original design of the iPhone 5, put a case on it.

Ill be honest though. When you have a case on for months and then you realize you would like to remove it - you will regret ever putting a case on that beauty.

5. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I don't think there's really all that much fuss. To each his/her own. Personally, I would love to enjoy the bare phone. However I got scratches on the screen with very careful use of just under 3 weeks. So on went a screen protector. Then as far as needing a case, I primarily like a case for a little extra grip. I just feel like the naked iPhone could easily slip out of my hand. Apple Care is fine for a big fall but won't kick in the dings and dents.

But I wouldn't fuss or try to talk someone into using a case if they want to run naked. Good for them but just not my style.

6. Gray bishop macrumors regular

to be honest the only thing I've ever done to any of my iphones without a case was slightly scratch the touchscreen on my 3g, with the 4S and the 5 never a cosmetic problem.....

the case is a piece of mind thing at this point, just like the glas screen protector is and the aluminum button from spigen to prevent dust and grime even further, all things that probably arent necessary but depending on where you are daily couldnt hurt....

7. iarti macrumors newbie

I prefer no case at all. iPhone may feel slippery sometimes but if you get used to it, I do not see a need for any case or protection. Just that I have a sleeve case. The sleeve is only used when it is not in use or stored in my bag.

Note that I am meticulous when it comes to handling gadgets. Necessity of case depends on personality of the handler...

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

i hate cases with a passion so no i dont use a case on any of my iDevices. i hate losing the "feel" of the actual device covered by some thick cheap plastic mess.

i only use a skin on the back of my iPad which is barely noticeable

9. swervinsuburban macrumors regular

I've never used a case up until now, I love the look the just the phone but I destroys my phones and need to have a case it's more a necessity now, that said I want a premium case that matches the materials of the phone and that blends in well so it doesn't completely take away from the phone but adds to it

10. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

I bought cases for my iP4 but not for my first gen. Many of the cases for the 4 ended up coming off at some point because I found I either preferred the feel of no case or the case actually did some damage to the phone. In one instance a case would have saved my phone from damage that Apple Care ended up taking care of (though I'm not sure the issue I had was totally related to the fall in the car)

On my iP5 I have had a case since day 1 and have dropped it once already without issue. Didn't have a screen protector and ended up with a light scratch after a few days. Spigen protector on there now so it's not visible.

Since I preferred no case on the 4 I figured I would feel the same with this but since using it that way since say 1 I've been happy with it. I'm using a Speck Fabshell (mega plaid black)

11. myfavoritePA macrumors newbie

I have conflicting views about the case/no case dilemma (#firstworldproblems...). While in an ideal world I would like to carry my iPhone sans case, two things stop me from doing so:

1. I'm OCD about my phone
    and
    2. I need to keep my phone is mint condition in order to finance my yearly "gotta get the new iPhone" habit. Scratches and other signs of wear really hurt the resale value.

That said, it is definitely a pet peeve of mine when I see an iPhone smothered in layers of plastic and silicone (an Otterbox Defender case comes to mind...). I suppose some people need that level of protection if they work in extreme conditions or have young children who like to throw their phones around or are facing a zombie apocalypse, for instance.

Personally, I try to use the most minimalistic surface protection possible, mainly to guard against scratches. But I am always conscious of adding as little bulk as possible and allowing the design of the phone to shine through. My phone also goes commando on an occasional basis when I know I will not be doing something all that strenuous during the day, but I keep a bumper on it when I'm running around the hospital doing rounds.

12. tucker3434 macrumors regular

My phone hits the ground about once every six months. I'd love to use no case but an intact screen is more important. I am still looking for some sort of bumper case that would serve my purposes.

13. yamatitan macrumors member

Otterbox defender for me, I work construction so its needed. I have seen phones fall out of attics many times including mine one time when I went to answer a call and fumbled it coming out of my pocket. Luckily the otterbox did its job! I took my 4s out the case one time when I got home after work and my dog knocked it off the table which is a 3 foot fall. It totally shattered the screen making the phone pretty much worthless bc half the screen stopped working. So now the case stays on even when at home.

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As with any device it's a matter of preference. Your call to make.

There's no "fuss" aside from those that feel the need to dictate preference to others (as always, consider the source). Do whatever works for you.

15. sectime macrumors 6502a

I just got my black 5 and deciding what to do. My 4/4s I just used zagg front and back. I like no case also. Not sure how this would work given the design of the 5. The damage some experienced from bumpers on 4/4s to the stainless band concerns me. Has anyone seen any damage from using a case or bumper on the black 5?