Case Opinions!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Titan12, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Titan12 macrumors regular

Alright, let me start off by saying that I know I could do a search and find some relevant information on this topic, but it may not go in the direction I'm heading since many were started when the 3G first came out... Now that the 3G style phone has been in the wild for about a year, how are they holding up from scratches etc...? and which case options did you guys discover to be the best in preventing scratching both from the case itself, and from the normal day to day handling of the phone? I think the best review of a case comes after a years worth of use, seeing whether or not it really preformed as expected. I am moving from a 1st Gen to the 3GS, as I'm sure many other on here are, and I would just like to know which cases you guys think are the best out there right now. Any opinions would be appreciated, as I am neurotic about scratches for at least the first few months, LOL. :D

2. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I myself have been through a series of cases and have come to enjoy the white (smooth) incase slider with the power support anti-glare screen cover. Works great!

3. Titan12 thread starter macrumors regular

Does this case leave any scratch marks on the phone itself? I've heard a few others say theirs has.

4. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

+1 to that.

My iPhone is black so she prefers the black Incase Slider instead of the white, but also the Power Support Anti-Glare screen protector as mentioned above.

5. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

I've heard of others complaining of this as well (after I got mine), but I haven't had any issues. Many people complain of it scratching the bezel in particular, but mine is still as smooth as the day I got it -- I have used them on my original iPhone, my 3G, and now put one on my 3GS.

6. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I'm using the exact same thing! Did this as well on my 2G. The oloephobic (or whatever it is) screen wasn't enough for fingerprints, grease, scratches, so I just put on the PS anti-glare with the white slider and I'm loving it.

I'm thinking of getting another color slider as well, or maybe an Incase protective cover. All the Incase products I've used have been great and really protect the device. They're the only company I buy cases from now!

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm using a white/cranberry Speck Candyshell, which I quite like. Not as sleek as carrying the phone naked, of course, but it's not bad. Looks a little funny head-on (black screen with a red/white border), but from most other angles it's quite nice.

8. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I'm using the Incipio silicone case that I bought with my 3G. Feels and works great!

9. petemwah macrumors regular

Today I bought a leather slip case (black) made by Exspect. It's cracking, cost just £20 and snugly holds the iPhone 3G S in it! My mother has had the same case in red for the past 6 months and has noticed no diminshed tightness over this time, seems to cope well with regular use, very slim and makes the iPhone feel very classy!

The visible tab is just the way to remove the iPhone from the case easily, when the iPhone is fully in the case, the tab is not loose and dangly, it's very well tucked into the back of the case...

[​IMG]

You can buy it here x

10. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

I had the iSkin Revo case for my original iPhone. I pick up the new updated version of the case when I picked up my 3GS yesterday.

It is the best silicon case on the market IMO. Great protection!

11. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I use a case on my phone a week after I buy it, and then I end up taking it off. It just adds bulk to it and I hate it. :p

I have an Incase Slider, the same one I had on my 3G, but I am almost certain it will be off by next week.

12. taran420 macrumors 6502a

+1 i have it and love it. Great protection and comes with a great screen protector. The white glass starts to scratch and fade but you cant really see it, and the protection is great

13. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

If you're uber paranoid about scratches, but an IS or BSE on as well as a case. This is what I do. It was a little tricky at first but I have found 3 cases I rotate that work w/ my BSE (full body w/ screen protector).

1) iSkin Solo (regular or FX)
    2) Speck Candyshell (i have the white/cranberry)
    3) Incipio Feather

14. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

It will scratch your phone up, its a really nice case and all, but not worth all the damage it will do to your phone.

15. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

16. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

I've been using my gunmetal Incase Slider for over 7 months. I remove the bottom portion of the case at least every other day so I can put the phone in my dock. My black iPhone 3G has no scratches whatsoever, and looks just as good as it did the day I bought it. I'm hoping this case fits the iPhone 3G S just as well, as I'll be upgrading in August. :)

17. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Ugliest case out there. Period. Isn't like an inch thick!?

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's also just about the most protective case you can buy. It pads the phone like nothing else, and it covers the ports from dirt and water entry.

I would hazard to guess that if you work outdoors, that sort of protection is much more important to have than a sleeker, thinner case.

19. germanjulian macrumors regular

mhh I have the incase normal case but am thinking about getting the silder as its smoother and easier to get the phone in out of pockets as its smooth.

But I am still debating if I should get "theinvisibleshield" and go caseless minus screen protector.

oh the choice... I tend not to drop anything but you never know :cool:

20. Zerase macrumors member

Zerase

21. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I had the black/silver case before I put the BSE on. I really liked it and would have kept using it but it doesn't fit w/ a BSE. I didn't see any scratches on the phone when I took it off and I liked the 2-piece snap design.

22. Zerase macrumors member

Zerase

Sorry, i'm new to this.. whats a BSE?

23. Titan12 thread starter macrumors regular

For those with the slider, are most of the scratches just from dirt that may have gotten trapped in the case, or is it the case parts themselves that do the damage?

24. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

full body invisibleSHIELD protector + OtterBox Defender case:

[​IMG]

25. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I go "nekkid" for typical office days, I use a belkin silicone sleeve around the house and the majority of the time on the weekends. If I've got a home project to work on for the weekend, soccer tournament for my son, or am traveling, I use the Otterbox Defender.

Yes, the Otterbox is very bulky but there really just isn't anything else that compares to it. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I could probably throw it down the street as far as I could, like a football pass, and the phone would certainly survive it.