Case or No case with AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by CrimsonKnight, Feb 3, 2014.

?

AppleCare+ With Case or No Case?

Poll closed Mar 20, 2014.
  1. AppleCare+ and I use a case

61.1%
  2. AppleCare+ and I go naked baby!

38.9%
  1. CrimsonKnight macrumors 6502

CrimsonKnight

There have been many fantastic threads on MacRumors regarding this issue, but my question is ... How many of you have AppleCare Plus and still use a case and why?

Also, for those of you who have AppleCare plus, and go " Naked".. why? have you used a case before, and decided.. why? I have AP+ ? Anyone decided to go caseless, and noticed the wear and tear was too much to handle?

Thanks for the insight, I go back and forth all the time. I am more concerned with scratching up the camera lense by putting it down at my desk at work.

2. Biomage macrumors member

I use case, i want my phone to be like the first day i bought it :))

3. CrimsonKnight thread starter macrumors 6502

CrimsonKnight

Did you purchase apple care plus?

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

5. CrimsonKnight thread starter macrumors 6502

CrimsonKnight

Did you purchase apple care plus by chance?

6. jinyoungkim7 macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

I didn't use a case on my first iphone 5s, then I dropped it and shattered the screen.

Got a new one with Applecare, use a clear see through slim case on my 2nd iphone 5s.

7. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I have AppleCare + and don't use a case. I'm not too worried about the camera lens, as it has been sapphire since the iPhone 5. It will get scratched up without a case, but not terribly if you are moderately careful. I use my phone for me, I'm not worried about resale value and having it in mint condition for the next person (I have never sold a phone anyway).

8. cynics macrumors G3

My phone would last a month or so without a case. AppleCare is nice but still an inconvenience I don't want to bother with. Just good insurance. Plus I like a grippier case.

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I had issues with my Macs, iTouch, and iPad… So I rolled with AppleCare. The last time I had a problem, Apple replaced it with a refurbish unit which I took back and had repaired. I'm hoping that doesn't happen to this unit.

I like using a case because it gives the iPhone a different look. Love the design, but I like dressing it up. You know like putting rims on your car. Plus you get a better grip. Before I could get a case on it, I did get a tiny scratch. I think there was something on the table that scratched it ..

10. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

*eye twitches

iPod touch

Anyway, AC+ iPhone 5. Case and screen protector mandatory at all times. Not that I'm a klutz or have butterfingers, but I want to protect my $750+ investment.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Funny you said that. When I was ebaying my iPhone 5, there were quite a number of listings showing scratched iPhones which the sellers oddly enough blamed on the case. Cases (or rather, the stuff migrates in) do scratch if you're not careful. But even if you are, I bet the resale value difference (between well-maintained naked iPhone and a cased one) is no more than the price of the case.

12. 997.2 macrumors regular

Balls Deep

No case, no apple care. 32GB gold 5S. I'm serious

13. Biomage macrumors member

Nope i dont have that on my country...

14. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Nice case with AppleCare +...

Reasons:

(1) Like to keep my investment in good condition

(2) Don't want to take the risk in damaging it, and having to pay the deductible of $79.00

(3) Possible better resell value down the road.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

applecare+ and naked

1) A big reason I buy the phone is the way it looks.

2) I love the way it feels without a case

3) That is the sole reason I bought applecare+, to go naked

I just figure a good case that "I" would want would cost me ~$50. I put that price towards applecare+. Also, not a lot of people know that you get a good portion of applecare+ back if you sell your phone.

"If you cancel more than thirty (30) days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro rata refund of the original purchase price, based on the percentage of unexpired Coverage Period from the Plan’s date of purchase, less (a) a cancellation fee of twenty-five ($25) dollars or ten percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (b) the value of any service provided to you under the Plan"

16. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

No case, AppleCare+. Why spend all that money on cases? Use the phone naked like it was intended. If condition at resale is a big issue then just get a new one with the AppleCare+ and sell it as a new condition. AppleCare+ is also transferable, great deal for the buyer.

Cases and screen protectors are a pure waste of money for a device that is only used for a short period of time. It's like buying undercoating for your car.....you just don't need it. When apple finally does put out a full sapphire phone people will still be putting huge honkin ugly 50 + dollar cases on them......I guess it's good for the economy but not with my $$.

17. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

OP do you ever use a full skin instead if a case ? I'm still torn with the apple case or naked / skin. I do have applecare plus as well. I also have some heavy duty cases around too such as ob preserver, lifeproof and a snap on case from the apple store made from evutec.

18. JNGold, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I use a case and also have AC+. In my situation, I get the AC+ for any major failures or damage during the time I own the phone. But to add to this, I usually "gift" my phone to my wife and we rotate the upgrades so that I get the new iPhone each year and she gets the old one. Using a case keeps the phone in pristine condition. Then, I give it to the wife and she knocks the crap out of it. :) But having AC+ protects her during the 2nd year I have the phone.

I am thin case person. I usually pick up snap on style, very slim cases. Right now I am switching between a red S5 Breathe case and the Caudabe Veil. The Veil is amazing as it comes as close to a naked iPhone as possible.

19. CrimsonKnight thread starter macrumors 6502

CrimsonKnight

Richxps,

I do not have a skin on mine , and I have not used one. I am using a speck candy shell card case. I go back and forth all the time because I have apple care.

20. CrimsonKnight thread starter macrumors 6502

CrimsonKnight

How is your phone holding up to wear and tear? Any scratches on the housing or camera lens?

21. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

looks great. camera is sapphire....not going to scratch.

22. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i kept my 5 in the case and managed to scratch it, i had an incase sliding case so if something got behind it, when i slid it off, the case scratched my phone. technically the case did scratch it.

23. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

lol I like saying iTouch cause it's funny. I remember someone saying that newbs call it iTouch. Well I'm not a newb. Been using Macs since they had floppies. :apple:

I'm not a klutz but sometimes accidents happen. I dropped mine in the car once. Case saved it from scratching the tracks on the bottom of the seats.

My first Powerbook I started using AppleCare because it is portable and leaves my home. All my other Macs before that never left the home and never had any AppleCare.

24. CrimsonKnight thread starter macrumors 6502

CrimsonKnight

Without the case, are noticing any scuffs on the back of the phone, from putting it down on your desk, or counters?

25. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

none so far, but I do have a sleeve I sometimes put it in when I drive and put it in a cupholder. Also, at night I have a micro cloth I lay it on versus directly on the nightstand.

This is the sleeve I have and it fits like a glove.
    http://www.amazon.com/IPHONE-HANDMA...qid=1391691205&sr=8-1&keywords=5s+wool+sleeve