Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chillip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
16d0e0aa2363710ae26fbb54a53d79f2.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I personally like the Apple Watch without a case. I think the Apple Watch is meant to be used as a watch and I don’t like those types of cases. Also, be aware that dirt/debris can get trapped inside those cases if not cleaned regularly, and can scratch the aluminum casing or display.

Also, just comparing those pictures, it looks like the display looks more muted with the case attached.

Last edited:

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I have the same case you have on your watch. I am a printer technician for Xerox working on production level printers and have to put my arms in very tight areas with metal all around. Without the case I would have destroyed my Series 2 about a dozen times. On the weekends I'll remove the case and give it a quick cleaning before putting it back on.

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
I have a Spigen tough armour on my series 3 to match my iPhone and iPad. I have clipped my watch on so many things and the case has protected it well. My watch is still like new

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Another vote for no case. I got a free case as part of a band I bought and ... all it did was collect dirt, grime, and dust - all I could think about was how it would damage the watch (but it was a cheap one with lots of exposed areas).

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
I use a clip-on case when Im working at the pub (cleaner/cellerman).
I'm shifting barrels and the like and the line cleaning chem is an acid. I don't want to splash that on my watch glass.
When I'm through I flip it off... no probs.

Reactions: molala

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Definitely no case for me. While I’ve now moved on to a S3, my original SS S0 which I used from launch until a few months ago lasted superbly.

That’s despite it being dropped, being bashed off concrete slabs, scraped along walls and all sorts of abuse.

I still have it sitting here, I’m considering selling it. But other than some micro-scratches to the case there’s nary a mark on it, the sapphire screen is still immaculate.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I use a case on mine since I work with my hands, and it gets destroyed. Without it my AW would be trashed. It just snaps over.

However outside of work I take it off. It doesn't look very good at all.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Pennypacker83

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2010
I don't mean to sound too harsh or disrespectful, but buying a protective case for your watch has got to be one of the silliest ideas I have ever heard of. Might just as well put a protective condom over your car. XXL size, of course.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Another no case from me. I don’t really like cases on anything. I have a couple phone cases but never use them. I’ve seen more damage done to items from the case being used then no case.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Obviously its a personal choice and you can do what you like but there is no way I would ever put a case on a watch, to me it looks beyond bizarre. I wouldn't do it even if it meant my watch would get scuffed up for its lifespan but it is one of the reasons I bought a SBSS S3 because between the actual watch case material and the sapphire I don't have any marks at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.