Case question- invisibleSHIELD or Speck Seethru?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Porsche1209, Jul 1, 2009.

?

Which case for college student to use with 15" Macbook Pro?

1. Speck Seethru

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. invisibleSHIELD

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Porsche1209 macrumors newbie

Porsche1209

Hello,

I am about to purchase a new Macbook 15" to use at college. I have been the happy user of a macbook for years. As I prepare to purchase this computer, I'd like to buy a case to use with it. My macbook has some pretty rough scratches just from being used around the house, and I would like to ensure that my new laptop can survive the rigors of college without being harmed. At this point, I think I would like a Speck Seethru case or the invisibleSHIELD for it. What suggestions do you have? Can any long-term users of the invisibleSHIELD chime in? I've only been able to find review by those who just installed it, and I'd like to know how it stands up to months of use.

Here are my thoughts so far:

Speck: No case out for this model, easy to install and remove, comes in many colors, heavy (comparatively), well-reviewed

invisibleSHIELD: Case out for this model, hard to install, lifetime warranty, extremely light, no shock protection

So, what is the consensus? I will be storing my laptop in a Speck Corepack during transportation, so it should be protected well otherwise. Thanks for the help!

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

I've had invisible-shields on for the lifetime of my computers, and they work great. If you are looking for ding/dent protection from a careless bump or fall, get the speck. If you are meticulous about your machines, and only need scratch protection, get the invisibleshield. The speck adds a noticeable amount of weight (.5-.66lbs or so) and though it seems light makes a big difference.

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Oh, and if you are patient and precise, the invisible shield installation is NOT difficult.

4. xDeathReaperx macrumors regular

Get both

I've had the Invisible Shield for my iPod Touch and it is by far the best screen protector/Fully body protector I ever used. They go by there word, it just doesent scratch.

But Speck sell's the best cases for Apple Products. Ive been a proud buyer for them for months!

Note: Signup for Zagg's Newsletter. And you get a discount every weak. And not a cheapt 10 percent discount Im talking 20-50 percent discount's. I suggest doing it!

GET BOTH!

5. Porsche1209 thread starter macrumors newbie

Porsche1209

Excellent, thanks for the replies thus far. As it looks, I may go for the invisibleSHIELD. I just installed their screen protector (about an hour ago) on my iPhone, and I really like it thus far. In fact, until I bought the screen protector on a whim, I had no idea about their products.

6. Porsche1209 thread starter macrumors newbie

Porsche1209

I just started following them on Twitter and I can see the nice discounts they give :D

7. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

yeah

Get the Speck hard case. Doesn't add much on weight. Adds a lot on protection.

A lot more than any plastic film too. :cool:

8. thetrystero macrumors member

i've read comments that say the specks actually scratch the macbook. anyone experienced this here?

9. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Invisible Shield has my vote. It's on my iPhone and MBP and I love it.
    Nothing will protect them from a fall or other form of physical damage so go with what looks best - I didn't feel that Either needed to be dressed up or covered.
    YouTube the installations of the Invisible Shield to see what is required, though.

10. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

I have seen it happen on a friend's MB. These cases have to be removed and cleaned regularly as dust settles in between and acts like sandpaper. If you end up with an opaque cover you never really see it happening until it's too late. Transparent covers show it in real time and you can see the dirt - get ugly. This I did see on my first clear iPhone cover. That didn't last long...

11. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Protection is a fallacy. As soon as you believe this you'll start breaking stuff. No matter what you put on it you still have to be careful. The only real protection is from light scratches which cases trade off as they add their own. Personally, I feel that a case simply customizes it by changing a color or theme.