Case removal which screw driver? a P..hillips #0 or a #00

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redsquash, May 14, 2008.

1. redsquash macrumors member

Which screw driver is required to open a casing of a G4 aluminium powerbook 17 inch 1-667Ghz .

I am very concerned I may strip the head since a number of people have said a lot of torque is needed to be used.
    I bought a Phillips #0 and a #00. Ifixit tell me #0 and others who have done the removal ,posted on the internet, tell me #00
    I tried both fittings and i am not sure how much movement should be or how deep the screw driver should sit. I could easily convince myself it was either from inserting both.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Both to be honest. I have two #0 Phillips screwdrivers but they both work better on different screws.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

the important thing isnt so much how far in the head it sits, but that it doesn't wiggle

4. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

The casing screws are all the same size so there must be 1 best screw driver fit. Ifixit have a great reputation but many posters here say use a #00 screw driver.
    I have no idea what sort of connection I should be feeling

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had to use two different #0 drivers in all instances of working with Mac laptops.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i work at a repair center and we use #00 i believe. I'm working later today so if I'm wrong i'll update my post. :D

7. atluten macrumors 6502

I used the #00 to open my case and found that it works perfectly. Cheers.

8. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

The #0 doesnt wiggle as much. I will be very interested in you answer, given somone just replied with #00.
    PANIC!!!!!
    Also
    I have to lift some pressure bar 2mm before I get to my optical drive .
    I can apparently easily damage this. Is that true, and how should i approach that particular task. I have ifixit instructions but it still is a bit vague as to what I am actually doing. Is it a straight verical lift 2mm?Is it easy to go beyond 2mm and how much forcr is required If i damage this , what wont work?

9. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

Did you have to press down really hard and turn, or, just firmly.
    Will I be surprised at how much force is required to push down and turn?

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if i'm not mistaken it doesnt take too much pressure at all, assuming the screw isn't seized. We use the same #00 screwdriver (if it is) on all the phillips screws on Macs, from iBooks to Macbook Pros. iMacs however use a different screwdriver.

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Okay i just checked, we use #0 screwdrivers. :)

Like a "wiha" brand, apparently available at places like Fry's Electronics.

12. atluten macrumors 6502

I actually had to put in a lot of force to turn the screws, but subsequent times have been much easier. I was a little surprised at how much force I had to use, but I think that was more an issue of it being the first time I tried moving the screw rather than the size of the screwdriver.

13. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip.
    What do you mean moving the screw??