Case requirements for the thinnest case-

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
I am very aware (obviously) that there are a lot threads about this-

1. Thinnest Case

2. Covers all side buttons (obv, if youre using a case, why not protect those as well)

3. covers the bottom of the phone with only an open for the cable (obv. not to obstruct the speakers)

4. Last thing.. Cover the back of the phone. I would prefer to have it clear or smoke/clear type.

I am still using a cheap $4 case from amazon but its rubber and very flimsy. I haven't run into a decent case that was posted on the forum.

I used apple's bumper case w/ film protectors (front/back) w/ that and it was a perfect setup, but I just prefer to protect the rear as well. I also used an Otterbox defender (rarely used it) but it was overkill from its size.

Any recommendations that would fit my requirements?

dbo43867

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
I think a lot of people would love said case. To my knowledge it doesn't exist.

I have a growing feeling that many companies are contract manufacturing from the same places- with only minor modifications to a core design. I don't really want to name names less I am wrong, or some company get butthurt.

Some innovation exists, but not nearly as much as there could be. We may be waiting for a while.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
I think a lot of people would love said case. To my knowledge it doesn't exist.

I have a growing feeling that many companies are contract manufacturing from the same places- with only minor modifications to a core design. I don't really want to name names less I am wrong, or some company get butthurt.

Some innovation exists, but not nearly as much as there could be. We may be waiting for a while.
My exact thoughts... I've been waiting until something catches my eye. I definitely don't want to spend $100 on a case. I feel like $20-30 is reasonable. I definitely regret having to spent $50 on a defender case for my iP4 since I only used it maybe a week?

I was checking for the same specs, but it seems it doesn't exist.

I've chosen to go with the Pinlo Slice 3. On the paper matches my needs.

More info here: http://pinlo.com/e/products/88/Slice 3 for iPhone 5.html
It looks nice, but it doesn't cover any of the buttons, unfortunately. Thanks!

Yea, according from the images on that link.. def not what I'm looking for. I'm wondering what Apple's reasoning was without any cases being released with the phone like the iP4 (even given that they were released from that reception issue, but that case came out nice).

Leek

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2012
If you were happy with a bumper and screen protectors, it sounds like you are looking to protect from scratches rather than drops. For that situation, the most popular case around here is the Desmay Slight. it doesn't cover the buttons but it certainly is very thin and a very precise cut including protection around the bottom.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
If you were happy with a bumper and screen protectors, it sounds like you are looking to protect from scratches rather than drops. For that situation, the most popular case around here is the Desmay Slight. it doesn't cover the buttons but it certainly is very thin and a very precise cut including protection around the bottom.
I see, I've looked at that case but I looked away without the buttons being covered. The apple bumper's button covers got eventually scratched up, but of course, it protected the phone perfectly since I never once dropped the phone or anything.

Thats exactly what made me decide that cases require button covers; especially that the black iphone buttons may get worn after time.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Check out the Noot. I have the solid case in white and it is very slim, covers the buttons, goes all around the phone and catches on the front bevel so no problems with screen protectors. The one below has comes in multiple colors with the clear back. I would assume it is also very slim as well. The quality on my Noot is surprisingly very good for a bargain case.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=160901029164&index=14&nav=SEARCH&nid=95527479568

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California

barryst

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
I'm looking for the same type of case. Can't seem to find one. There are ultra thin cases out there but they dont' cover all the sides or buttons. I also would like one that gives a very minimal lip. I have a diztronic currently, and the fit and feel is nice, but i'd like a case that's translucent black/grey and ultra thin which the diztronic isn't.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Fellows, I think this may be it-

http://www.amazon.com/Luvvitt-FROST...qid=1350870081&sr=1-99&keywords=iphone+5+case

Can anyone confirm this? Of course, its a white phone, but I'm interested to see how it looks with the black phone. Thoughts?
You can get a case identical(or the same one) on eBay for way cheaper.
My girlfriend has this case and the fitment is perfect. It protects the phone and it keeps it relatively thin. It comes in black too. She loves it and has ended her case hunt. I'm still looking for something different though

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
You can get a case identical(or the same one) on eBay for way cheaper.
My girlfriend has this case and the fitment is perfect. It protects the phone and it keeps it relatively thin. It comes in black too. She loves it and has ended her case hunt. I'm still looking for something different though
you're right. Its slightly different, but it would have worked. I searched this- (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...id+CASE+FOR+Apple+iPhone+5&_sacat=0&_from=R40)

Oh well since I already ordered the other one. Thanks! (I'm looking still, too). My temporary case was too flimsy and it falls off whenever I get my phone out my pocket. haha.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
you're right. Its slightly different, but it would have worked. I searched this- (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...id+CASE+FOR+Apple+iPhone+5&_sacat=0&_from=R40)

Oh well since I already ordered the other one. Thanks! (I'm looking still, too). My temporary case was too flimsy and it falls off whenever I get my phone out my pocket. haha.
Hope your search goes well. I think I'm settling for the SGP bumper for now.. I want to show the good looks of the phone off without compromising comfort and usability.