Case Sensitive Switch Questions

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
So, I just received my iMac and after playing with it for a few weeks I find that I don't like the fact that it was shipped with a case insensitive install. I was hoping I could simple run some command to convert, but there doesn't appear to be any "easy" way to do this.

I assume I can simply reinstall and as part of the install format the drive case sensitive.

My questions are as follows:
1) Is a reformat/reinstall my only option (not a problem but I though I would ask)

2) I don't expect Mac OSX to have a problem running in this environment but if someone is aware of any restrictions I would love to hear it.

3) Would this have any effect on my plans to install Windows 7 via bootcamp? (once it's supported that is)

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I've not heard any issues on switching over to case sensitivity. I'd recommend googling it and/or trying it.

Personally, since OSX is built on unix which is case sensitive, I can't imagine it being a problem but stranger things have occurred,

Edit, I just googled and saw this macosxhints article. While admittedly its 4 years old, keep it in mind though
mac osxhints

It appears one the comments mentioned the inability to change the boot drive to case sensitive, as you get a gray screen when you reboot. Again its 4 years ago, but it is something to keep in mind.

Comment

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
Well this is a little disappointing. I guess I assumed that OSX being built on a UNIX foundation would be able to run/install case sensitive.

I guess I can see their reasons for this as the average user is not accustom to this behavior. No big deal, I'll deal with it. Thanks for the responses.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.