Case Suggestions for the GF

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by OnNightfall, Jan 4, 2012.

1. OnNightfall, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

OnNightfall macrumors regular

Hey guys, my gf is in need of a new case. She is bored of the one she has plus it's a bit beat up. I'm a case freak and I can find at least one thing wrong about cases. Ex. Not too much protection, flash glare, dock and headphone holes do not work with third party accessorizes etc... The one she currently has which I also have and is my favorite is the Speck Geometric. I honestly can't find anything wrong with it. I highly recommend this case but she wants something new and different. Any suggestions? She does like pink but it does not have to be and it has do have a decent amount a protection but not too bulky. Maybe you can share what your gf's or wives use that can help. Thanks!

2. jedolley macrumors 68000

My wife went with the Speck Candyshell (White/Purple). She was also looking at case mate cases because they have ALOT of styles/prints.

3. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

My girlfriend uses the Otterbox Commuter, but it probably would cause issues with aftermarket headphone plugs. She's got the dropsies, though, so I made her put a case on her phone before we even left the store (she's had an iPhone 4 for over a year and there's not a scratch on it). The case, on the other hand, is beat all to heck...but that's the point, right?

Maybe something like the Incipio NGP? It's simple but got good protection and looks nice (in the smoked version). Personally, when I'm not using my Commuter, I absolutely love the Magpul Field Case. Good protection, tough, and feels great in the hand. It doesn't add much bulk to the phone, either. It would definitely help protect the phone somewhat in a drop, but nothing like the Commuter or the like.

4. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

Hey jedolley, the Speck Candyshell looks amazing but I've had one before and the back scratches just looking at it. They came out with a satin version of it but both do not work with third party accessories. Speck made the holes too small on the CandyShell for some reason. I just checked Case Mate and WOW!!! 160 cases. I'm going to have to look through. Any that any of you can recommend before I spend hours looking through lol Thanks for the tip about Case Mate.

Hey KentuckyHouse, though not a fan of the bulky, I was actually looking at the Otterbox Commuter in pink. I was a bit afraid of otterbox because my friend has one and somehow it scratched up the phone. Don't exactly know how maybe this has happened to someone? I'm curious if it'll work with third party accessories. My gf also is clumsy so a little bit of extra protection can come in handy. The Incipio NGP looks pretty good, anyone have any experience with this case? does it have a black border around the camera/flash? The Magpul Field Case also looks interesting. Never heard of that brand. Wish the website had some pictures in pink.

Thank you so much for the Suggestions, keep them coming. I already have plenty to research but I don't mind more input.

5. chobie macrumors newbie

6. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

7. jedolley macrumors 68000

TBH, we are both getting our first iPhones next week. I have no experience with any of the Case Mate cases, but they caught my eye as well when I was researching options for the wife.

As for the Candyshell, I expect scratches to accumulate over time on the back, but since it's mostly white they will be harder to see. As for the third party accessories, that's not really a big deal for my wife... As long as she can charge it, she will be fine.

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My Mother has a lime green bumper.
    I would get a fake one because
    A) Cost
    B) Bigger cut outs

She has a white iPhone

9. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm

10. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

Love the Switcheasy Melt case! I have it in the white/red combo.

I would also recommend their Avant-Garde series. I have both the Blossom and the Chateau cases. They have a very unique look to them.

11. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

That reminds me of the pepto bismal commercial. My wife wants the Switcheasy Color.

[​IMG]

12. jedolley macrumors 68000

My wife liked the colors as well, but since they still use silicone I talked her out of it.

13. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

What is the issue with silicone?

14. jedolley macrumors 68000

Just never been a fan of silicone cases for anything. They aren't very tight or form fitting to begin with and get looser over time. They are also more susceptible to dirt and grime than say a TPU case.

15. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I've had the Commuter on both my 3GS and 4S and have never incurred a scratch. It's always a good idea to remove the case every week or two and clean out any dust or debris that may make it's way in. There's no way the Commuter could scratch a phone...because the part that's against the phone is completely silicone and is soft. But if something gets in there between the silicone and phone, yeah, it could scratch it.

The Commuter might have issues with certain dock connectors (although this can be remedied by a dock extender). The opening is big enough for most aftermarket dock connectors, but it may have some trouble with oversized ones.

I have the NGP as well, and it's a nice case. I wasn't AS impressed as others, but it does have a nice feel and fits well. You shouldn't have any problems with aftermarket connectors with it. The inside of the camera opening isn't blacked out, but I've never had a problem with flashback from the flash.

Try Googling the Magpul and you may be able to find some pictures of the pink. In fact, if you look through a few of the threads on here about them, I believe someone has posted pictures of one. It really is a fantastic case, especially for $10. I've actually got two of them...the foliage and OD Green. Love them.

16. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Some gal posted on the Otterbox review site that she dropped her iPhone with the commuter case on it. The back of her phone shattered. Just an FYI.

17. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

I just want to thank everyone thus far with the comments. Keep them coming. It has definitely made me find some kool cases, but still not ready to buy any yet.

18. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Orla Kiely?

----------

Oh and another thing - if she's going to bung her phone in her handbag like my wife does, a completely enclosed case that protects the screen might be better than just a bumper case ...

19. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

Checked those cases from Orla Kiely and they didn't look so good. Thanks though.