Case that broke the phone when it was sat on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Just wanted to let you guys know..
    and update from this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=676779&page=5 that was mysteriously closed due to something offensive.. maybe I just blocked it out so well that I missed it? I dont know

Anyways, just to humor the folks that were interested in what the MFG. would say.. I contacted them, sent them the pictures and they said that the warranty only covers me for 60 days. I said, it wasnt teh CASE that broke, its the phone that was broken because of the case.. They said, yes, but the warranty on the case is only 60 days. Honestly, thats a tad backwards.. I can see if the case broke and I was trying to get a new case 1 year after having it in my possession.

They said that they would not replace the phone - not surprising, didnt think they actually would..

I asked, just out of curiosity, do you agree with me that the case was the cause of the phone breaking. They said "it is likely that the placement of the case on the front of the phone is what caused the pressure crack if the scenario that you described is active, however because it is past 60 days, we can not do anything for you"

Still don't get it.. if the case broke my phone 2 days after buying it, would they just replace the case??

Oh well.. nothing i didnt expect anyways, just weird reasoning.

2. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

It wasn't just the case. But hadn't the case been there, your phone would be intact

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

For the n'th time... it wasn't the case that broke the 'phone - it was the big b*m that sat on it! :D In case you haven't realised, 'phones were never designed to be sat on!

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

And so it begins again...

...The last thread was closed for a reason.

5. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Lindsay, just out of curiosity, what were you expecting the case manufacturer to do for you?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If I was the manufacturer, I would be blaming the ass used to crush the phone as the cause of the iPhone damage, and not the case. ;)

7. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i wasn;t going to call the manufacturer, and seriously - even the CASE people said the cause of the break was ultimately the case - so i'm DONE with that arguement.

Its just that a few people in that thread were curious as to what the MFG would say, so i wrote to them. I never specifically asked for a replacement, just explained the problem and told them that I feel that had the case not been on the phone, it would not have broken.. they agreed, and said yes, the placement of the case's top area put undue pressure near the hole for the earpiece which is, in fact, the weakest point on the phone.. hence the reason they are giving it to their developers/engineers.

8. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

the moral of this story...
    dont put on cases?
    dont sit on your phone?
    dont ask for a repair past the warranty?

i do however feel you pain. id cry if my phone broke. and you got alot of heat for it on these forums. i feel the love.

9. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

no.. the WHOLE reason i posted it was to tell people - DONT USE A CASE WHERE SOMETHING HARD GOES ACROSS THE FRONT OF YOUR PHONE NEAR THE EAR HOLE

unfortunately there are so many whiny kids on here asking if apple with give them a new phone if they flushed it down the toilet, that people get all uppity when you bring up a broken phone. Obnoxious if you ask me, becuse all they had to do was actually READ the post

10. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

So did you get it repair, I believe is around $100 that I saw in craigslist.

11. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

12. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I am going to sell it.. Any suggestions on a price?

13. davelanger macrumors 6502a

The case broke the phone, its that simple.
    If that case was not on the phone, the glass never would have shattered.

Btw to the OP. How much did the case cost? If its not too much, why not just buy a new case so the receipt is within 60 days, then tell them its under warrenty when it broke the phone

14. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

ohhh THAT is a great idea, the case was only $15 or soemthing.. but i THINK that they would be a little suspicious. Id ont know how many people email them with those issues (a broken screen) but i would think they might catch on to me

15. Rusalka macrumors regular

Rusalka

Thats such a shame :(

Thanks for satisfying our curiosity though!

I did think it was a bit unfair that your other thread was closed, even though I can understand the reasoning behind it.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Here we go with the case that broke the phone. :D
    Should be more like the rear end that broke the phone......
    Did you really expect them to buy you a new phone or give you a free case or what?
    I dont think they said anywhere that you can sit on your iphone with this case on and it will protect it from breaking.

17. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I'd just search eBay, i'm sure there is tons of iphones with cracked screens on there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.