iPad Case that does justice to Air

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Bokes, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Bokes macrumors 6502

Anyone find a decent case or back cover that doesn't completely defeat the excellent weight and size of the iPad Air?

I'm currently using the Smart Cover on the front.
    Not as good as my old leather version, but it's light.
    I would like to protect the back and corners.
    I tried the invellop case. It's nice and not much $$ but adds way too much bulk to the design. My iPad Air suddenly felt heavier than my old ipad 3.

Trying not to play the buy and return game with Amazon.
    Can anyone recommend a decent slim case or back cover?

2. shadow puppet, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  3. JFC macrumors member

I use all of my devices naked for the simple reason that they all ruin the beautiful design aesthetic of Apple products, and they also add unnecessary weight.

However, the one protective type thing I use is a micro-fiber sleeve that I put on my MacBook, iPhone and iPad when not in use or while traveling with them.

Check out this company called Rad Tech. http://www.radtech.us/products/radsleevz-ipad-optex-sleeve-case

I'm very impressed by the micro-fiber sleeve.

4. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

To the OP: I posted this in another thread. I have the exact same philosophy as you do - I don't want to cover up a beautiful design by Apple with a crappy case, and potentially compromise the thinness.

I'm using the Saddleback Leather Large Gadget Sleeve. It fits an iPad air WITH an Apple Smart Cover on it. I've used it with previous iPads and it fits those too. Still looks as beautiful as when I got it on day one. (Photo is not mine, but this is what it looks like)

[​IMG]

5. Robster3 macrumors 68000

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm using the Smart Case. After reading some reviews that said the case added substantially to the weight of the Air, I was reluctant, but decided to give it a go, as I'd always be able to return it if I didn't like it. As it turns out, I've been pleasantly surprised by how light the case is. The more I use it, the more I feel convinced that it's unlikely any Smart Cover + back case combo will end up lighter than the Smart Case. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, of course, and the Smart Case isn't without its problems (the three-panel design isn't as stable as the old four-panel design). But for now, I believe it is the best choice for people who want light full-body protection.

7. cyrax83 macrumors member

8. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Don't know about it being great, but the ThinShell is a decent lightweight clear back hard shell for the iPad Air by Poetic that will be compatible with your Smart Cover.

9. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

honestly that sleeve looks pathetic...it is way too thin, doesn't have any protection for an entire side of the iPad (the open side bothers me), and just looks flimsy...on a naked iPad (or one with Smart Cover) I feel like the sleeve needs to have some sort of padded protection and have the ability to cover the entire device

here is what I bought for my Air: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y20L36/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

obviously it is up to personal preference and some people won't care about what I pointed out, but I just think pouches like that are pointless...oh well

10. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

The Poetic Slimline case weighs 6.3oz, and is incredibly nice. They are on sale on Amazon for $4.95 plus $4.95 for shipping (black; other colors are $9.95). The regular price is $35, but Poetic didn't get the magnets right, and put the corrected cases on sale. I suppose to counteract bad publicity. You can see mine in the thread "Poetic Slimline Case Updated".

11. zamboni52 macrumors regular

The best case I've seen so far is the RocketFish case from Best Buy. It can function as a stand in both horizontal and vertical positions and also a position that props it up for keyboard typing. I looked at all the brand named offerings but this was not only the cheapest but the most functional. Also, it does not detract very much to the thinness or weight of the Air. I have not found anything better yet.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Cost?

I picked up 2 of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G3TUL4C/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far I like them.

13. pat park macrumors 6502a

Does the case portion separate from the cover? Is is it permanently attached, but swivels?

14. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Case that does justice to Air

It was $39.99. I've used cases like the one in your link before and they are definitely thinner, but I found that it wasn't as stable in propping up the iPad unless you're on a very flat surface like a table. Occasionally, I like to watch movies in bed and have my iPad on the mattress nest to me.

----------

It is permanently attached and swivels. However, it only swivels if you turn it. It will not move unless you really want to reposition it unlike the Targus one I played with yesterday. That one rotates freely rotates. Here are some pictures with the iPad out of the case.[​IMG][​IMG]

15. christurbo macrumors regular

I'm using a Griffin leather sleeve coupled with the Apple Smart Cover.

Awesome combination that doesn't impact on the profile.

16. pat park macrumors 6502a

awesome. Thanks for the pics and info.

17. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I am waiting on mine from Amazon. I was able to order it when they were $0.01. I figured it was worth a shot. I will write a review when I get it. Hopefully it will be here this week.

18. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Except the iPad case doesn't have hole for the camera. That was the first case I bought then I returned it immediately.

19. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Case that does justice to Air

Great point! I didn't even notice that. I may still keep it until I find a better case since I really don't use the camera on my iPad that much. I have 45 days at Best Buy to exchange it. Maybe they will have it modded by then.

20. kdoug, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I just received the Anker Ultra Slim Case from Amazon and it's one of the better fitting, looking cases I've ever owned. The reviews are excellent.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EURB8KK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached Files:

21. jateelover macrumors member

IMO the Smart cover is the only way to go. I have to be able to remove it completely. Not the smart case, the cover. Maybe with a back cover too, but they have to be separate. If you care about the weight and form factor, its what i recommend. A sleeve is good for taking out and about.

22. blue2noise macrumors regular

Apple smart cover + BodyGuardz clear film for the back. All the cool feeling of a naked ipad without any of the scratches.