Case to protect iPhone 4 from the dangers that lurk in purses...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Danae, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Danae macrumors newbie

I've been browsing many of these threads and my head feels like it is going to explode. There seems to be a million cases for a million needs. Invisible shields, skins, cases that you can barely see, sleeves from leather and suede, etc etc.

That said, I have not heard anyone talking about what many of us women do with our phones - toss them into our purse and forget about them. These phones will be shaken around with keys, pens, wallets, and other mysteries that somehow find their way in there. Our purses may be dropped on the floor when we walk in the door, and they may end up having other things dropped on them and may even end up buried under backpacks and shoes. Purses are full of peril!

And once my phone leaves my purse it still doesn't have an easy existence - it will be in the gym when I workout, it will likely be with me for hikes (safety reasons only), potentiality even around camp fires. What can I say? I'm an outdoorsy girl.

I was really hoping to order the Otterbox Commuter because it seems to over a high level of protection without making it a complete brick like the Defender (my fiance's choice because he works in the trades). But alas there is still no release date for the Commuter 4.

Other than the Commuter, what other cases seem to offer great protection from being tossed about in a purse? I somehow doubt the "so skinny they're almost not there" types of cases will do the trick. And a bumper? I can't imagine that even remotely being enough protection!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

my wife uses the incase slider on her 3GS and it offers great protection along with the screen protector...when the iphone 4 version is release I would choose that for her if she had an iPhone 4.

3. stphnman20 macrumors regular

I suggest you get any case that'll protect it fully.. Liek the one from SGP.

I took my ip4 camping naked!! Nothing happened to it. No scratches, no dents, no dirt, no nothing. Just gotta be careful with it. Now If I had my old 3G I wouldn't be to worried.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You can try the Speck PixelSkin. The thing is like kevlar and a waffle iron making love continuously. The colored ones aren't shipping yet though.

5. computerinfo macrumors newbie

6. Danae thread starter macrumors newbie

I have to admit, I'm really not a fan of the pixelskin waffle look. especially if I can't get it in a colour yet (sorry, I'm a snob apparently)..

The incase slider case might be okay. Somehow it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it isn't terrible looking. And it at least has an approx release date!

stphnman20, what case on the SGP site where you suggesting that will protect it completely?

Has anyone tried the iPhone 4 Incipio SILICRYLIC? I just stumbled across it and it looks like it might be fairly well protected. And it ships in a variety of colours!

7. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I have a bumper, IS on the back, and a little felt sleeve.

8. Fisticuffs2065 macrumors member

9. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Bumper + Waterfield Designs Suede Jacket ...

or

Sena Ultraslim with the naked phone.

I usually throw mine in my "man bag" but like the feel of the phone too much to cover it up.

eV

10. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Do you have an inner pocket in your purse you could at least put it in? I always have a case on mine (usually a TPU case along the lines of the iSkin Solo FX), but I'd never in a million years just heave it into the purse and be done with it. I don't even know what all's in there; I can't imagine what could possibly happen to my screen with it all rattling around in there together. :)

Instead, I just always make sure it's in the inner pocket (that also contains some papers, business cards, and other non-scratchy soft things), with the screen facing the soft stuff and the back toward the outside of the purse. That's worked well for me.

11. labrat1996 macrumors 6502

labrat1996

I always put my phone in the outer pocket of my purse. The phone is in an SGP Vintage edition leather case that covers the back and has a flip cover over the front. Only parts of the sides are exposed. The leather on that case is "meant" to be used and look vintage - so I don't worry about scratching it like I did my Vaja cases.

12. cdrwinston macrumors regular

I had the seido case from my old 3G, but always had it attached to my purse or my pants. With that said, I am still looking for a good case for the new phone. I purchased the ifrogz and used it 3 days and took it off. Right now I am waiting on SGP shields and will use those in conjuntion with my bumper. I have a feeling we will need to take real good care of the phones, until some really good cases are released.