Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hi there,

I currently have an 'Origami' case for my iPad Air 2. I do need to use the iPad in 'stand' mode, but similarly there are times when I want to just hold the iPad easily itself. The problem with my case and probably every other normal iPad case is that there's an over-hang once you fold back the cover, which makes gripping the iPad a bit annoying. The lining of the case is also weird to be getting your hands all over. The over-hang is made worse by the trade-off of the Origami style - One of the 'flaps' folds a bit in this mode which is also annoying.

Take a look at the MS Surface Pro 3 - it has a detachable keyboard cover that just attaches magnetically, like the iPad 2 smart cover did. Easy snap on, snap off. It's much more cumbersome to snap on and off an actual iPad case in its entirety.

So I'm here to ask - are there any cases with a detachable front part i.e. stand/cover ? All I can find are keyboard cases, which I don't need.

If not, why not? It sounds perfect - hold the iPad in a way that works best for games or sofa browsing, then just snap on the cover when you're storing you iPad or need to use the stand function.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I think this is the best overall case I have ever used with iPad. Meets all of your needs. Be sure to look close at the back case and that fact that it has both a strap and a stand.

Click Me

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hmm, both are quite bulky. Also hard to get as I am form the UK. Thanks for your suggestions though!

I considered going for a case mod + Apple Smart Cover as posted on this forum, which requires you to buy a normal case&cover, cut the cover off and use the Apple smart cover. Because despite a few offerings, no single back-only cover seems to have perfect Smart Cover support.

But that is a very expensive option. I am instead considering just getting a portable stand for use when I need it, a sleeve for carrying, and I would just use the iPad nude on the stand.

TrylNarrer

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2014
I'm reading/writing on a NewTrent "Airbender" 3.0 that I got for Christmas. It's got a really innovative iPad attachment mechanism. It must be durable, because my daughter hasn't broken hers yet, after snapping the tabs from two separate Logitech Folio keyboard cases.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
I'm reading/writing on a NewTrent "Airbender" 3.0 that I got for Christmas. It's got a really innovative iPad attachment mechanism. It must be durable, because my daughter hasn't broken hers yet, after snapping the tabs from two separate Logitech Folio keyboard cases.

Unfortunately I don't have a need for a keyboard case.

I found a case that looks perfect for the job but just my luck, it's only on Kickstarter and it looks like it won't be funded :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.