Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Madrid, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Madrid macrumors member

So I'v been looking to get a hardshell case for my new 13' Macbook pro and I was just wondering are the speck cases any good? Anyone have any experience with them? My main concern is that if I put a hard shell case on my Mac it will cause it to overheat.

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

With the new models, overheating shouldn't be such an issue. The only issues I've heard of is scratching caused by dust being trapped between the hard case and the computer. Although this will happen with almost any hard case (not just speck,) it is something to keep in mind.

3. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

Would recommend me getting a hardshell case? Or what should I get instead? Any ideas?

4. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I don't personally have this but I think any hard case (the speck ones are very popular..) and some kind of skin on the computer would be a great combo. I have a Zagg Invisible Shield on my Macbook Air and I love it. Personally, I'm happy with just the skin but if you feel you need the extra protection, both would be ideal. :)

5. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

I tried that with my iphone 4 I had a case and a invisible shield on it but the invisible shield kept coming of because of the case :(
    Mmm I was thinking about the invisible shield but idk i think $55 for it is a little to expensive though i did get a $100 bestbuy gift card :) Should I get both then? is that most ideal?

6. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I also had the invisible shield on my iphone and I didn't like it that much. It stuck to cases and was a pain. I really like it for the laptops, though. A lot of people will argue with you about the invisible shield. I only buy them when I get at least a 40% off coupon (they come around every couple months..sometimes 50% off..) But that is the combo I would do. Also, Best Skins Ever is another really good skin company and their's are a lot different (better) than invisible shield. I just buy IS because of the coupons. You really have to see whats best for you. I think skin + hard case is ideal. Hope I could help. I'm interested to hear what other people say too.

7. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

Yes I'v been doing my research and some people say that the invisible shield is really bad for it because of the curved surface and that it begins to get off and get yellowish (thats happened to me with my iphone) sooo Im not sure I want to have the best protection possible
    Also do you know how I can come across this offers?
    Does the invisible shield come with a screen protecter as well?

8. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I see. Yeah, I haven't researched them in a while since I was in the market for it. As for getting the discounts, I'd suggest signing up for their mailing list and "liking" their facebook page. It really helps when they send/post the discounts. Also, a quick google search might bring any current ones up if there are any. And, no. The IS does not come with a screen protector. Just top, bottom, palm rest, and trackpad.

-edit-

Also, just to throw this out there, the aluminum macs are very durable machines. I would say probably a very large amount of people that own them use them without any kind of skin or case. Is there any specific thing you're going to be doing with your computer that you might find a case necessary? If it's sitting on your desk or bed you really don't need much of anything.

9. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

O ok I wil do that I think I might give the invisible shield a try hopefully it works out well. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it :)
    BTW quick Q does the liquid you apply to it harm the computer at all?

10. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I've installed 3 different wet application skins before and I've never had a problem with the computer. Just be careful to squeegee the liquid out not near any ports or anything. Should be fine.

11. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

Well I don't want it scraching and I'm going to be using it for school mostly so thats why I want to get the invisible shield because I'm going to be taking it around