Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I wonder if the new front glass on the XR is more resistant to scratches.

Because if you don't use a screen protector, eventually you'll get scratches and micro scratches from daily use.

But yea, the glass feel of the back is much better than a plastic case.

Same glass they’ve been using. So it’s not anymore scratch resistant.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
iPhone XR is too big and bulky with a case. For me, I preferred the iPhone XS size, but I didn’t want a phone with PWM, so XR was my only option. It’s a great phone, but it is unbelievably slippery without a case. Even in my pants, it slips out of my pocket easily.

Does anyone know of a product that can be applied to the back that would make it less slippery? Something similar to those anti-slip strips you can put in your bathtub but obviously much smaller? Might be the perfect solution.

Guess you haven't seen Pitaka's case. There's nothing bulky about an xr with it.
[doublepost=1544467188][/doublepost]
My 12 year old is using his caseless while my mAx is in a skin and a bumper case with glass protection! I have a bad habit of dropping phones. I am trying to get myself to try just the skin and no bumper case.

Something seems weird when a 34 year old has the same phone as a 12 year old. Different generation indeed

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Guess you haven't seen Pitaka's case. There's nothing bulky about an xr with it.
[doublepost=1544467188][/doublepost]

Something seems weird when a 34 year old has the same phone as a 12 year old. Different generation indeed

Depends. He earned the money for the X he had before this. Something is weird when people make assumptions.

Reactions: storvay and alpi123

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
I've been a slim case type (but not skin type). I love the Caudabe Sheath as its grippy (textured) while still being pretty slim. I'm not sure it'll survive a tall drop, but its one of my favorite case. But the main downside is its not clear so it hides the color of the phone...

FWIW, my daily case (since last week) is the Loopy Max as I like the security of the phone in my hand (and its the newest case I have). I do have a Ringke Fusion, but I find it a bit slippery depending on the condition of my hands.

But it does feel like its hard to be an XR owner that wants a clear, slim, grippy case that satisfies each of our personal tastes.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Slap a skin on the back of the Xr and call it a day (especially if you have AC+). Although if you went with one of the colors (blue, red, yellow, coral), I'd want to show off the color.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Slap a skin on the back of the Xr and call it a day (especially if you have AC+). Although if you went with one of the colors (blue, red, yellow, coral), I'd want to show off the color.
That's why clear skins also exist.

Educator4Christ

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2019
Johnston, IA
anyone going caseless with their XR? I typically end up with no case on my phones but this particular devices is a bit heavier and wider than I’m used to so I’m contemplating forcing myself to use one. I normally end up taking them off because of the dust that builds up around all the openings and screen.
I want to go caseless, but it worries me about dropping an expensive phone. I have a rhinoshield bumper on it. It’s protected it well, and you get to feel the glass back and the front. I have the red iPhone XR, with a blue bumper and white buttons and rim. It is very nice and patriotic.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
My iPhones always stay in cases. They are too expensive/fragile/full of important information and need to be protected properly for inevitable drops.

My iPhone XR cost: $749 USD
My Chromebook: $169 USD

My phone costs 4.5x more than my laptop and is 5,000x more likely to be dropped/broken. Yeah.. it’s getting a case. lol

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
Oh man, there is absolutely no way I can go caseless, new iphones are just too slippery. I'm glad to hear that the original poster decided to use one. My favorite has always been the Magpul, protective, gives adequate grip, but not too much.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Last edited:

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I personally always get a case. Not because I don't like how the phone looks caseless, but I'm not used to them being so thin. And I also feel safer.

Reactions: danny8200

Denaaaa

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
NYC
My XR is case less. I haven’t used a case on a iPhone since my iPhone 5 days. Cases to me just make the phone bully and I don’t baby my phones either so i don’t care about all of that

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
I've dropped mine twice and the case saved it but usually I go without a case. The screen does have surface scratches all over but no cracks or anything major.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.