Casemate Tank breaking

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Patrick Bateman, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Patrick Bateman macrumors member

[​IMG]
    Got it at the beginning of the month. No falls or impacts. We see how customer service works out. Anyone else having problems with the Tank?

2. guccigucci88, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

I bought the one for 3gs when it was still called sharkeye and it has survived all types of drops. I think you might have a defective that should be replaced no questions asked. Besides the crack how are you liking it? I'm considering getting it for my new 4s but its a bit pricy. (the 3gs one is cheaper)

3. Patrick Bateman thread starter macrumors member

It's bulky around the screen which makes it a little difficult to look at the notifications bar but I have gotten used to that. Otherwise, a very protective case. I likey.

4. Patrick Bateman thread starter macrumors member

Another break. Now a piece is missing though. Wtf. [​IMG]

5. Patrick Bateman thread starter macrumors member

6. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

You used that for a month?

You have more patience in the case than I did. I put mine on my phone and immediately took it off. Felt cheap and it also was leaving a weird residue from the interior silicone on my phone.

It was an intersting idea that not only looks ugly but based on feel alone I knew it wouldn't hold up over time. While I liked that it was thinner than my current favorite rugged case, the Survivor, it did not seem to be protective at all.

Good luck on a warranty. Case-mate is hit or miss in my experience. They were good in replacing/returning my Jett, but terrible in replacing the Tough case that I got which was defective. Both were bought through their online store.

7. Patrick Bateman thread starter macrumors member

That's what I fear. No customer support. I think the case is ok, have a few gripes on the holster design but have gotten used to the case quirks and everything else. If this thing is so prone to breakages, it will not be good.

8. JayJayJay macrumors member

My wife has been using it for two months, with a 3.5 year old and 16 month old tossing it around and have had ZERO problems.

For you not to like the look of the case is one thing (I agree). To say it's not protective, is absurd. It's significantly more protective than any case on the market, including the survivor. It's not even close.

9. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

Same problem here actually. My wife has been using hers for about a month and it's cracking in several places (mostly where the case connects the top bit to the bottom).

Bought her an otterbox last week to replace it. It may protect from falls, but the way in which the case itself is not holding up is a massive problem...very unimpressed.

In addition, that plastic screen protector slidy bit feels very flimsy to me. I had very highly anticipated this case for my wife (who is BRUTAL on her phones), but seeing the way the case isn't holding up is a tremendous concern. In addition, I worried about the plastic bit across the front leaving scratches - but it's impossible to get a screen protector in there under it (or at least is now that the connector bits are bent and cracking)

10. Patrick Bateman thread starter macrumors member

Just FYI, I have the power support anti glare film on mine and seems its strong enough and thin enough to fit. Took phone out a couple times and no peeling.

11. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

It didn't seem protective due to the cheap feeling of the case. How is that absurd?

I thought I was going to snap the plastic clips when putting it on my phone. I'm sure if I put even the slightest amount of pressure on them, it will break. The Survivor doesn't feel anywhere near as cheap.

Not only that but the top portion of the Tank was bowing. It didn't slide together easy since one side was more concave than the other. That is poor build quality as both of the ones I received were like this.

It just seemed like a poorly built case coupled with the weird residue from the silicone. I had to clean out both cases and they were both new. First time I have ever had to do that.

I'm glad that your case is holding up but others aren't. I know mine wouldn't which is why it will never be on my phone again.

The Survivor I have has held up to a lot more abuse than the average person has subjected their phone to. End results were the same. Phone in perfect condition, minimum marks/scuffs on the case itself. Besides the plastic over the screen, the Survivor is a better designed and in my eyes a more protective product. With that said, I'm sure an impact to the plastic screen on the Tank would result in a break of the phone anyway.

As for screen protectors, my 2 cases were slightly bowing so a screen protector was out of the question. It ruined one and I didn't try to put another one on there.

12. Patrick Bateman thread starter macrumors member

They've responded and the pics helped. They are sending a new case for free. Hope it works.

13. Patrick Bateman thread starter macrumors member

Got new one around January 7. Starting to crack now. Wtf over?

14. Patrick Bateman thread starter macrumors member

Definitely need a holster and that one doesn't have one. But to stay on topic, I will be dealing with support again and will ask for my money back instead this time. Will update.

15. Patrick Bateman thread starter macrumors member

Guess the other posters got erased. Now it just looks like I'm talking to myself.

16. 92fxrhm macrumors newbie

Their Customer service is very good, at least so far. I too had a Tank that cracked exactly where yours did (no dropping or rough stuff) about a month after I bought it. They quickly sent a replacement. Now about three months later, the replacement case has cracked in exactly the same place. I think it may be a manufacturing/design defect since the crack is at the thinest piece of plastic on the case.

I just wrote to them to see what they will do - I'll go for another case since I really like the functionality of the case - only issue is the crack !

How were your issues resolved?

17. Patrick Bateman thread starter macrumors member

I ended up just selling my last replacement when it was new. My otterbox defender isn't as functional to me but hasn't broken at least. Loved the holster on the Tank too. Oh well...