Casemate Tuxedo Review

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by AutomaticHaze, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

I've been using my Casemate Tuxedo case almost since launch day. It really is a pretty amazing case. My mother recently got an iPad and I got a Tuxedo for her iPad as well.

It's not the most common case out there but defiantly worth a shot if you want something minimal.

There is nothing really holding the iPad in the case, besides, a large square of "Magic Tape", basically a piece of adhesive. I've had no problems with the iPad coming out or moving around. It has also not left any type of stickiness on my iPad.

The front cover does function as a smart cover, with the wake to sleep functionally. One downside is the when you wrap the smart cover around to the back, if it gets pushed up, it locks the iPad. Not the biggest deal but I can see where it could bug some people.

Always takes me a lot of research before I buy a case online, so I figured I would post my opinion of the case & some pictures if anyone is considering it. If anyone has any quesitons I'd be glad to help! :)

This is my first "review" of a case, just trying to help anyone wanting a thin case for their iPad.

Onto pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Xultar, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I was thinking of getting it myself.

I have some questions for you. Do you or your mom have a skin on the back of your ipad?

What is removal like? I sometimes put mine in a dock. I think though I could probably slide the dock behind the iPad but in front of the cover so I don't have to remove it.

Do you have to wash or wet the sticker to clean it to rejuvenate the adhesive properties?

Thanks for your time.

Oh,
    I was thinking of getting this one. http://www.gadgetmac.com/gadgetmac/pinlo-noir-leather-folio-case-for-ipad-3rd-gen-review.html But the Pinlo folks haven't updated the production photos on their site to reflect the addition of the smartcover magnetic hinge situation. (it does have the sleep/awake functionality)

Do you think for the tuxedo the magnetic smartcover hinge setup is necessary?

One more quick item. I never used my smartcover to hold up the ipad to type or anything I always kept it flat. It seemed to rickety...unstable. That is why I did't think I'd need the smartcover folding stand attributes. Do you think you could use something like that Pinlo leather without the smartcover folding stand attributes or do u use the additional angles provided by the folds in the cover quite a bit?

3. AutomaticHaze thread starter macrumors regular

No, I do not have a skin on my iPad & neither does my mother. I'm not to sure how well the skin would stick to the "Magic Tape".

Removal is very easy. Just start to pull up from either the top of bottom of the iPad, and it will pop off of the tape. It takes a surprising amount of pulling to get it to come off.

I've taken my iPad off a few times now with no need to wet the adhesive. It was still just as sticky as before.

As for the other case.. I do not think the smart cover hinge is necessary at all. I pick my iPad up with just the smart cover portion all the time, and the iPad stays locked into place with the adhesive. As long as you're not playing Frisbee with it in the case..you should be just fine! :)

I personally would not have bought it if it did not fold like a smart cover. I use that function quite a bit. Comes in handy when you're trying to show a video to someone or type out more than a few sentences.

Hope the review helped. Best of luck deciding on an iPad case. :apple:

4. Xultar, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I got the Casemate. I like it. I can't use it in the apple dock because the back of the dock is a little high and it won't allow the iPad to go down onto the connector. That is fine cuz my iPad 2 Spends the lion share of time in the dock.

Placing it was easy. I readjusted the magic tape covering so I could pull it away after I'd put my iPad where I wanted it. Why they don't put a long tab on that clear cover to facilitate that is weird.

I have a stickerb0y skin on and it works fine with skins. I'm really happy about that! The magic tape is kinda cool. It sticks well. I would like to see other vendors use it.

There are no issues with my magnets. So they must have fixed that in subsequent versions. Thank goodness! That would have been a deal breaker for me.

Out of the packaging it has a strong vinyl plastic smell. I love it. But I'm sure most won't. It is completely gone after 48 hrs.

I was going to buy two so I could have one for both my iPads but since it won't work in the dock. It is a no go.

I'm glad I spent the money on the cheaper Casemate rather than plunking down $120 on the pinlo. The folks at Pinlo don't respond to emails from customers inquiring about their products. Even those willing to spend over 100 bones on a case. If they won't communicate to get money they won't respond to problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.