Cases and magnetic car mounts

Ryxmd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2014
I'm using a magnetic car mount and have the metal plate inside my XS Max Apple leather case. I'm wondering if anyone attached the metal plate to any of those thin cases before. Such as the Caudabe Sheath. Did it fit well?

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
I'm using a magnetic car mount and have the metal plate inside my XS Max Apple leather case. I'm wondering if anyone attached the metal plate to any of those thin cases before. Such as the Caudabe Sheath. Did it fit well?
I use the Pitaka MagMount Qi and the MagCase in mt XS Max... the case has built-in metal pates to allow the magnetic mount to work, and it charges perfectly. I have seen references to the 'add on' metal plates for other cases to allow the magnetic mounts to work... but the obvious objective it to NOT block the charging coil with the metal plate,

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
Hi, were you able to resolve wireless charging with the magnetic plate inside of the case? I have this and its not charging on iphone 8 plus.
https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Mag...d=1538528488&sr=1-7&keywords=car+mount+magnet
My guess is that the placement of the metal plate is blocking the connection between the coil on the charger and the charging coil in the phone...
[doublepost=1538529414][/doublepost]
It absolutely should work for mounting... but not for wireless charging.

dazz87

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2007

Deathshead

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
What a company needs to make is a metal plate that goes AROUND the qi charging coil to not interfere with wireless charging but still able to stick with the magnet mounts. This is how Pitaka cases work, they have 2 half moon shaped plates inside. I would love to be able to use a leather case with magnet mount and working wireless charging and that how it can be accomplished.

EDIT: Looks like they DO have rings available for to use both wireless charging and magnetic mounts.
Not sure it would be enough metal to get it to stick through the leather cases though.

https://www.amazon.com/Neotrix-Wire...rd_wg=lniJY&psc=1&refRID=Z7BYWV6CA4SYN75YBD6T

Last edited:

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
What a company needs to make is a metal plate that goes AROUND the qi charging coil to not interfere with wireless charging but still able to stick with the magnet mounts. This is how Pitaka cases work, they have 2 half moon shaped plates inside. I would love to be able to use a leather case with magnet mount and working wireless charging and that how it can be accomplished.

EDIT: Looks like they DO have rings available for to use both wireless charging and magnetic mounts.
Not sure it would be enough metal to get it to stick through the leather cases though.

https://www.amazon.com/Neotrix-Wire...rd_wg=lniJY&psc=1&refRID=Z7BYWV6CA4SYN75YBD6T
I use similar rings and they work perfectly for mounting and wireless charging

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.