Cases and over heating

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jenni122701, Dec 3, 2014.

1. jenni122701 macrumors regular

jenni122701

Ok, I searched this forum and also did a google search, but didn't see many opinions on this issue. I thought Id see more about it. Anyway...

I always use a case to protect my iPhone in case of falls. I have a hard time choosing a case because certain cases with more protection make me think it may cause my phone to get hotter during use than it should, so I have been sticking to cases that are thinner and not as protective as I'd like. Seems I can be rather clumsy at times despite trying to be careful with my phone.

I know the Apple site says, "Remove certain cases during charging.
    Charging your device when it’s inside certain styles of cases may generate excess heat, which can affect battery capacity. If you notice that your device gets hot when you charge it, take it out of its case first.", but when not charging, during normal use, do you guys using the more protective cases notice if your phone gets hot during usage? I mostly do a little web use and messaging, light app use. I don't use it for long periods of time or heavy usage really.

Just looking for opinions and feedback. Thanks!

2. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

A good, and often ignored question. One way to permanently shorten battery life is overheating.
    Depending on your climate, the usage you describe is not too harsh. The biggest cause of excessive heat is heavy usage. Certainly using gps while the charger is plugged in will cause excess heat.

If you are worried about it, try a good bumper case. Like a Spigen brand, which has great protection front and back via rubber lips, but leaves the back exposed to air for heat dissipation. The metal back of the iPhone serves this purpose. There was a good reason why Apple made those bumper designs. I used one for a year without any scratches on the rear.

Most people don't worry about it. And if your battery shows reduced capacity you can have it replaced for $69, I think. Some feel that is better than replacing the phone if it breaks. So they use any case they wish. If I lived in the hot south, I'd worry more.